12. Told Off by a Girl

My mouth begins to silently suffer, watering at the sight of the pastries that lay on display behind a polished glass door. I'm extremely tempted to open my damn mouth and order a donut for a treat, but instead just stay quiet as I pay for my drink. The young male requests for my name before disappearing off to the back of the cafe, since it's been a seemingly slow day today.

Everything seems like the norm, until a hyper tap at my back tells me otherwise. I whip around to greet the happy face of Ethan Dolan, who appears to be very happy to see boring old me.

"Hi," I mumble awkwardly.

He chuckles internally before he greets me back. "Hey there."

"You here alone?" I raise a brow.

He suddenly turns red as if I've "exposed" him about something. Ethan shoves his hands behind his back like a nervous child.

Does he like me?

"Busted..." Ethan sheepishly says. "I left Gray at home with the laundry and dishes..."

Oh. That's what it was.

"Some brother you are," I scoff at him, receiving my drink in an unusually quick amount of time.

Ethan's cheeks flush with even more red, leaving him bright as a tomato.

Is he crushing on me?

"Erm, you okay there?" I ask. "You're really...red."

"I-I'm fine," he awkwardly laughs. "It's just that I barely get told off from a girl...like you."

"Ha!" I poke him in the chest. "Maybe it's about time that you learn how to act like an adult."

"No way!" He laughs. "Life's too short to hold back!"

"Tell that to a serial killer," I roll my eyes, noticing from the corner of my eye that my drink's been made and handed out onto the counter.

"Oh come on," he rolls his eyes back at me. "Do I look like a crazy murderer to you?"

I take a long sip at my drink before I answer, "No, but you could at least help your brother with the household duties. I did my research, and I'll just be direct with you Grant, don't be a douche of an older brother."

Ethan immediately turns bright red again, this time with his eyes nearly bulging out of their sockets at what I've just said. His eyes tell me that he's not angry, but just terrifically shocked at my bold words. I smirk at him as I start walking to the doors of Starbucks.

Suddenly a whoosh of hot wind hits me in the back as a strong grip clings to my shoulder. I get flipped around to see that Ethan's stopped me from leaving this place, which is just...weird. What's this guy's deal?

"You're fucking bold for your appearance!" He exclaims after a delayed few seconds.

"And you're just a guy with a douchy beard," I mock him with a joking grin.

"Touche," he smiles.

"Does Grayson ever say that about you?"

"You mean my douchebag attitude?"

"So you admit that you're a douchebag," I raise a brow.

"N-no!" He assures.

"Right..." my voice wavers unsurely. "I'll ask your brother one day."

"Aw fuck," he curses.

My smile grows bigger. "Ha."

I walk out of the Starbucks and start walking to my truck, only to be held back again by Ethan Dolan.

"I'll definitely get you back next time," he challenges. Then he goes back to Starbucks, turning around one last time. "Mark my words," he lays down. "I will get my revenge!" Ethan laughs with an onset of triumph.

Yeah. Sure you will.