11. Fight Together

"Oh, my gosh," I pant with exhaustion. One glance at the floor reveals that Ethan has collapsed, while his twin is silently hunching over in sheer exhaustion.

"I-" Ethan chokes, then continues, "I don't t-th...think I've ever done such extreme physical activity!"

Grayson stumbles to his brother's side, suddenly flopping on top of Ethan. "Because-" he wheezes, "you never fucking workout out with me!"

"Y-you two are more fit than me!" I struggle to say. "H-h...how are you so...tired?!"

Both twins tiredly turn their heads at me, both in a pool of their own sweat and stained t-shirts. I notice a slight shrug from Ethan, despite the fact he's laying flat as a plank on the trampoline runway. Both of the Dolans struggle to help each other recover, each grabbing the other by the arm to heave them up.

We all decide that this had been enough physical exercise for all three of us, calling it a day- both physically and emotionally. There's a stronger bond between us, but I feel like Ethan and I still have that invisible strain that won't tear apart just yet. Maybe the trust still needs to build up.

Today's "date" went pretty well, I guess.

"Hey," Grayson tugs me by the arm and pulls me off to the side as Ethan drifts away from us, going into the men's bathroom. "I noticed that you and Eth-"

"I know," I mumble. "I can still see how cautious he is around me."

"Trust is a tough thing for him," he sighs quietly. "He's the opposite of trust issues sometimes, and that kinda leads to mistrust in friendships and stuff."

"Sorry."

The younger twin shakes his head and shrugs a smile awkwardly. "It's not your fault. To be honest, he hasn't made anyone feel that emotional for a long time. Maybe he'll grow onto you."

"Hopefully."

"Hopefully what?" Ethan asks with curiosity as he jumps right into the conversation.

Shit. Uh. Be discreet.

"I w-was...saying...uh- h-hopefully you and I can create a...s-stronger bond!" I panic, stammering with a fast beating heart as I come up with a half-hearted response.

"I think we will," he shyly smiles a toothless grin. "Sorry for making you...umm...uh..."

"It's fine," I assure. "Mental breakdowns have become more normal to me," a smile shields the harsh and painful reality of my life.

Ethan walks closer and firmly rests his hands on my shoulders. Our eyes meet with intensity as he and I gaze into the other person's colourful eyes.

"We can do it together."

Huh?

"W-what do you mean?"

"Step by step," the winged-hair twin quietly says. "Maybe you and I can help each other fight our own demons together."

This time a real smile comes through as I burst into a tight squeeze of a hug. For the second time today, Ethan gives the gesture back, burying me within his large body and baggy shirt. I finally have a genuine feeling of happiness within- nothing romantic- just sheer joy that I made a new friend.

Correction.

Two new friends.