41.

~I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things~ Tom Waits

Harry-

When I park Joey's car across my street, I don't like the way my house looks. It looks the same as any other time I've pulled up to it, but now I know that everything I own is packed up ready to be hauled out of there. As I now walk across the street, I use my hand which isn't being held by Jo's to toy with her ring in my pocket. She is quiet next to me, the too-long sleeves of her jacket touching my hand as we walk.

Right when I reach the dead lawn my mother is coming out of the front door, "Oh, good thing you're back, we need your help getting luggages." She tells me.

Joeys hand slips out of mine as she allows me to help, shallow looks being exchanged over my shoulder as I stand at the back of my mums car, loading in the suitcases they bring me. Jess is quiet as well, though I don't expect her to say anything else to me, really. This is all her fault anyways, my mum and I were doing just fine. But I take those words back as I look at my mother, seeing her eyes with dark circles underneath them, her hair looking thinner than usual, and her hands shaky as she passes me a carry on bag.

"I've got it, mum." I say as I approach her trying to lift my own suitcase off the driveway to hand to me, putting my hand on top of hers to stop her.

She pats my arm with slightly pursed lips as she lets me take over, loading the last thing into the small car.

"Mum, I'm just going to go check inside, make sure we have everything we need." I tell her.

When I begin to walk away I take Joeys arm, leading her up to the house with me, not caring that my sister and mother can see. When the door is sealed shut behind us my lips instantly brush against hers, my hands meeting the sides of her face. It's a bittersweet kiss, maybe one of my favorite ones we've shared. There's a lump in my throat, no matter how much I try to ignore it and pretend it's not present. When our lips detach and our foreheads press together, Joey's eyes are hidden from me, squeezed shut as if it will stop me from leaving, hide it all.

"I don't need to cry again." She laughs weakly, using her long jacket sleeves to wipe her eyes, glasses being pushed up as her hands slip underneath them.

"You won't forget about me right?" I joke halfheartedly.

Joey gives me a false scowl, before standing onto her tippy toes to kiss my lips again.

"You keep this safe, alright?" I ask her, finger trailing down the chain that dangles by her collar bone, disappearing into her shirt.

"Yeah." She smiles.

I turn around, taking a look at my house. Only personal belongings have been removed, furniture and things like that left for the renters we will hopefully get. Maybe even left here for if things ever get better, we come back.

"Your sister and mom are waiting." Joeys hand tugs mine a little, and I pinch the bridge of my nose as I begin to walk with her, taking advantage of her walking in front of me to rub my eye sockets with a fist, willing the sting of tears away.

"Gotta go honey!" My mom instantly calls out when we are in sight again, making me grind my teeth a little.

My sister is already in the car, my mother standing near the drivers side, even though there's no way I'm letting her drive. She's too tired. I know these last words I say to Joey will be the last ones she hears from me in person for a while, the last time I will be able to touch her for a while. So when I turn to her again, I let myself speak without holding back because of pride, my ego, selfishness, or fear of being hurt.