Chapter 13

I glanced around quickly at the eerily quiet area, I knew there was someone home because there were a couple cars parked outside but for some reason I felt like I was left alone in an empty world. It felt as if there were nobody around for miles, I couldn't even hear a bird singing or the distant sound of car engines speeding along the roads. The wind blew lightly through the thin fabric of my dress, and I pulled my lace cardigan over me tighter, switching my glance to across the road, the wind playing a weird whistling sound in its blow. I stared out at the field for a few seconds, then squinted. Did I just see someone running?

That's when I heard it. A scream. A bloodcurdling, piercing sound coming from the far end of the large park in front of me, followed by a knocking, hollowing sound and then another sound, which sounded like a man shouting. I gasped and glanced back at the house, not once hesitating to run, despite the slight heel I wore on my feet. I began running up along the driveway as I heard a dog barking, making me even more nervous than before. I looked back for a second, just to make sure nobody had seen me taking off, and could hear myself panting once I reached the door, banging frantically on it, desperate for somebody to take me away. I had no idea what was going on... who the hell were those people, and why were they doing what they just did? I had a pretty good idea of what just happened, and I wasn't looking forward to facing what I could possibly have to face, if that person was who I thought it was.

God knows, I could have been being watched right then, as I stood weak-legged in front of the door. I banged on the door again, slamming my palms against the black painted timber, my voice cracking slightly as I cried for somebody to please open the door.

The door flung open, and I fell slightly forward, recovering after a few seconds. I looked up, and Luke stood in front of me, looking very surprised. I let out a long breath and clutched my chest. "Thank God."

"Bella? Are you okay?" He quickly asked, pulling me inside and shutting the door. He held onto my shoulders, his eyes scanning across my face before he pulled me into a large hug, his huge arms enclosing me into his body as my face lay against his chest, his heart beating rapidly against my cheek. I was still panting, gasping, totally afraid that someone was trying to come after me. His hand stroked my hair, making me calm only a little, before he pushed me back to look at me, his warm hands cupping my face. He looked into my eyes for a few moments before he spoke.

"Hey. You have to tell me what happened. I can't help if I don't know what's wrong." he said gently.

I sniffled and Luke ran his thumb underneath my eyes, whispering 'don't cry,' as I tried to piece together a sentence without fumbling. "Across that f-field," I glanced at the side window beside the door, and shook my head as if trying to clear the thought from my memory. "I heard somebody screaming. Its coming, I know it is."

He shook his head as I started crying harder, his eyes still connected to mine. "Wait, what? What's coming?" he quickly hugged me again. "You're safe, okay? Remember what I said. They have to get me first, before they can get to you."

I attempted to nod, but the way my face was against Luke's firm chest it was kind of hard to. I wiped my hand across my face. "Yeah. Sorry." I looked up. "Sorry."

"Hey," he said softly, stroking my hair. "Its alright. I'm here for you. Okay?"

I nodded quickly and attempted a smile, looking at the ground. "Yeah. I-I know. Okay, I mean."

"Good," he breathed, his hand sliding down my arm and slipping so easily into mine. "Wanna come meet Calum and Cassie?"

I nodded and smoothed out my dress with my free hand as Luke pulled me through to the kitchen. "Cassie is Calum's girlfriend. She's sweet."