Chapter 20

That day, after we recovered ourselves and tried to understand all of this, we lay beside the water under the dark evening in quietness. It was peaceful here. We could sit together for hours, I noticed, without saying a word and it would be the most comforting thing in the world. Sometimes it's better to just keep to yourself, to be quiet and to say nothing, to heal yourself. I know that plenty of times from experience.

I picked at the grass and began weaving a small daisy chain, amusing myself. Luke lay across from me, propping his head up on his elbow, watching me although his eyes were half-closed.

"You okay?"

I looked at him, his face a lot better than it was earlier. And by that I mean it wasn't as tearful and sad as it was this morning. He nodded. "I'm okay if you are."

A smile tugged at my lips and I looked down. "I'm fine."

"Do you know what's funny?"

I looked at him and frowned. "What?"

"When we met, you and I both thought we were gonna hate each other."

I laughed. It was true, and right now, sitting here with Luke would have seemed to be the craziest thing on earth. But not to us now. We're used to each other by now, we keep each other steady. We're best friends. Nothing would change that.

"I know." I answered quietly, my lips curling. I bit it softly. He grinned and continued to look at me.

"Like, I never would have pictured us here, in the middle of a forest together. All alone." he laughed. I laughed too.

"I know, It's crazy."

"Tell me about it." He picked up a small pebble and threw it into the water, creating circular ripples around it, making a small 'popping' sound. 

"Luke?"

"Hm?"

"Do you think i'm crazy for thinking he's gonna come after me?"

He hesitated, squinting into the direction of the small evening sun. "Nah. I mean, I would, if it was me.."

"But I mean, now.." I said again, frowning. "He's not even here. We don't even know who shot me, and God knows if they're even investigating into it."

"They'll find him."

"But what if they don't?"

"They will." He looked at me. "Don't worry, they will find him. Alright?"

I nodded slightly, although I didn't really believe it. "Okay."

"So. Lets talk about..happy things." he said. "What are your ambitions?"

I grinned, he talked like this and I didn't even know if I would live long enough to have any. But because he asked, I searched my brains for an answer.

"I want to be a mother." I said firstly, because obviously that was my main priority. "I want to fall in love, have children, build a house, get married and.. just live a happy life, really." I shrugged.

He smiled, a real big smile, his eyes lighting up like the sky, as blue as water.

"What about you?"

"Well." he breathed out. "Obviously I wanna have a family and stuff. I want to get help for you know, whatever I need and I'd just really like to have a career in music."

I smiled and nodded, looking down. "Of course."

"Do you think that would work out?"

"Oh yeah." I nodded. "You have a real talent, Luke. You shouldn't keep it to yourself. Chase your dreams while you can."