CHAPTER 10

19 years ago,

"Dolly! I've arrived." Jungkook said giggling as he ran across the hallway towards his bestfriend.

"Kookie!" she squealed as they hugged each other. "I've been waiting for you. Why didn't you come earlier?"

"Sorry! Mom was a bit busy with work so she couldn't bring me here."

"It's okay. Let's go out and play." She said cheerfully.

"Where's your doll?" Jungkook asked when he noticed that she was bare handed. She would usually carry an old rag doll with her wherever she went. In fact, ever since she had joined the orphanage, she had never once been spotted without the doll. Eventually, everyone started recognising her as "the girl with a doll" and hence the name Dolly. Though the doll was dusty and old unlike Dolly herself who was pretty and young, that toy was her most prized possession.

Dolly started crying.

"What happened?" asked a concerned Jungkook.

"Jae Hee tore the doll and threw it away." she said still weeping over her unrestorable loss.

"How could she? You wait here. I'll go and teach that girl a lesson." Jungkook said all fuelled up.

"No! Don't pick a fight. Else, after you're gone, she'll trouble me again." Dolly said.

"Okay...Come, I'll take you to mom's cabin. She has brought some cookies today." He said to cheer her up.

Jungkook's mother was a devoted social service worker and had set up an orphanage which she would frequent with her only son, Jungkook during his holidays and weekends. On the contrary, Jungkook's father was a greedy and shrewd businessman who valued neither his wife nor his son. Though his father never showed much interest in Jungkook, he pampered Jungkook's elder step-brother who was wise and shrewd- a perfect heir to Yoonmin Company. Was it simply because of Jeong Jin's intelligence that he was favoured or because of something else, no one knew. 

Jungkook's mother heard about the incident revolving around Dolly and her doll and sympathised with her. She also offered Dolly some cookies. The shy girl was quietly sitting in one corner of the office munching cookies while Jungkook sat with his mother on the couch in the opposite corner. After a few moments, Jungkook delightfully ran up to her and said," Here. Take this ring as a gift from Eomma and I." He handed her a silver ring engraved on which were the initials H.J.