CHAPTER 16

JUNGKOOK'S POV

I rushed to the hospital the moment I got the phone call and throughout the journey all I could think of was my father's condition and pray for him. When I reached the ICU, I saw Secretary Song waiting outside with her son, my brother, Jung Jin. I've never really liked her and seeing her there where my mother should have been made my blood boil. But this was not the time for petty family fights. I went up to Jung Jin and asked him about father. He was about to open his mouth when he got a phone call," Jungkook-ah, I'll talk to you later. I've got an important phone call to attend," he said and left the scene. This leaves me with Secretary Song. I've never spoken to her about anything but work and even today when I'm desperate to know what exactly happened, I won't approach her.

I was sitting quietly and patiently waiting for the doctor to arrive outside when my phone suddenly rang. It was my elder sister.

"Yes noona?"

"Jungkook-ah...I'm sorry I won't be able to make it before Thursday. All flights before that have been booked", she said.

As I was speaking to her, I stepped outside the hospital building to take a walk in the park in front of it. I could see Jung Jin speak to someone on the phone from a distance. I walked towards him.

"Don't call me again on this number you fool else all suspicion will fall on me!" Jung Jin exclaimed.

"Noona, I'll talk to you later." I said and ended the call as I inched towards hyung to clearly hear what he was saying.

"It should be over by tomorrow. I can't give you more time...... Is that my fault? It's your men who didn't take care of the job properly in the first place! I don't care.... I want it done. That's it." He screamed and ended the call.

I was hiding behind a tree listening to his conversation but didn't clearly understand what he was talking about. It was very rare to see hyung, who always maintained a calm and composed image in public, to be screaming away like that. I didn't give much thought to it and went back to the hospital.

Next Day

SO MI'S POV

I wonder whether I should call him or not? He said he would call. He hasn't even messaged me since his abrupt departure. Shall I wait or shall I go to console him? Am I not supposed to be there for him, instil in him hope and provide support in such a moment?

After much debate, I messaged him asking him how Chairman Jeon was and how Jungkook was coping up. It was 9am. Jungkook had received the message but not yet read it.

It is 9pm now. He hasn't yet read the message and I'm a bit worried about him. I think I should call him now. Maybe he is too busy and I'm better off not disturbing him? Or maybe I should text him once more? He said he would call. I suppose I shouldn't disturb him until he calls me.

Yet, I texted him.

He replied at 10pm. He messaged me which hospital he was in and that his father's condition hasn't stabilized yet. Maybe I should visit him in the morning tomorrow.

6 hours later

It's 4 am and I don't know why I'm feeling so weird. I'm not clairvoyant but a feeling that something terrible is about to happen looms over me and I'm unable to sleep. Maybe I should visit Jungkook.

1 hour later

I left for the hospital despite knowing that there would be a huge probability of Jungkook not being there but at his home. I remember him messaging me last night that his brother and Secretary Song would be accompanying Chairman Jeon and that he would probably go back home. It was still dark and chilly.

However, to put myself at ease and get rid of my apprehension I made my way to the hospital. As I walked past the hospital gates, I could see the silhouette of a man standing in one corner with his head down. Jungkook. I ran towards him.

"So Mi?" he asked softly.

"Hmmm... It's me. What's the matter? Why are your eyes moist?" I asked hoping that it wasn't what all of us were expecting.

The darkness around us was slowly paving way to light.

"Abeoji..." he whispered and put his head on my shoulder. I shouldn't ask any further.

I embraced him and gently patted his back.

He was now crying.

"I never liked him... never...", he sobbed.

Right behind me, the sun was rising. Slowly.

"....then why is it that I'm feeling so sad?" he asked in between his sniffs.

He pushed away and looked right into my eyes. The golden rays of the sun lit up his face and the tears on cheeks glistened.

"I should pay him back for everything. I should make his firm successful. Only I should..." he said.

A new day had begun.