CHAPTER 13

18 years ago...

Jungkook was quietly devouring his cake on the dining table while his parents were screaming and yelling at each other in the master bedroom. It wasn't something new and this little boy over time had learnt to ignore it.

He was the only child of his mother Park Hyo Jin. He did have a step-sister and step-brother, both being elder to him. His step-sister was adopted when she was just a small child from the same orphanage which Mrs. Park was the owner of.

Jungkook's mother stormed out of the bedroom and left home. This too wasn't anything new so Jungkook continued stuffing himself with cake, indifferently.

Few days later...

It had been three days since his mother had left home and Jungkook had already started missing her. His father too hadn't heard from her. She wasn't responding to the phone calls, e-mails or even messages. Where was she?

It wasn't until five days since she was reported missing that her corpse was found in a lake by the police officers. At first, they speculated murder but later it was ruled out to be suicide. Though case back then seemed pretty unclear and her motive for suicide uncertain, the case was hushed up and closed not long after investigations had started. The only persons who were grief-stricken were Jungkook and his step-sister.

Soon after the incident, when Jungkook wished to visit his best friend and lament over his mother's unfortunate demise and be consoled by her, his father didn't permit him. He whined and cried but to no avail. His father didn't want him to visit the orphanage and his father's words were the final verdict.

And so Jungkook lost not one but two people whom he loved- his mother and Dolly. That friendship which would soon have blossomed like a beautiful flower remained a bud which was chopped off before it grew.

At the orphanage, Dolly waited for Jungkook every day, patiently at first but as days passed into months, the ray of hope which she had of seeing him, soon diminished. After two years, when she was nine, her aunt had accumulated just enough money to care for her and soon took her away to China. It wasn't until Dolly was an adult that she came back to South Korea.

Present

"K-Kookie?" So Mi faltered.

"So did you finally recognize me?"Jungkook asked.

"Where had you been?" So Mi asked, a thousand questions storming her brain but none able to escape her lips in the form of words. She had waited for this day all along but now, when it had finally arrived, was she ready?

"Did I make you wait too long?" Jungkook asked softly.

"No... I could have waited for ten more years because somewhere I knew that we'd meet some day and as long as there would be such a day, I would have waited for it all my life."

"I'm sorry I couldn't visit you though I desperately wanted to. My father didn't let me and my mother had passed away."

Jungkook explained in detail, everything regarding his mother's demise and how he missed her. For some time, they reminisced about the time when they were children and how simple and magical everything was back then. They laughed at their innocent younger selves when they had promised to marry each other after they grew up.

"So Mi" Jungkook said as he gazed at her.

"Yes?" She said.

"This time, I'll not leave. I promise."

So Mi smiled.

"I have asked this question umpteen times now but this time, I hope your answer will be different." Jungkook said as he stood up and turned towards So Mi. He held her hands and asked," Will you be my girlfriend?"

"No" responded So Mi