Sudden appearance

2

1st of February, 2014

Daria

"Where is Markus, he's usually never late like this..." I worry aloud.

"Don't worry Daria, he's probably just running late or something." My best friend Elizabeth reassures me. She's probably right, I just need to be patient.

"Daria!" I hear my name being called, and I turn around. Suddenly it's like I've been attacked. I stagger back, and she's still hanging on around my shoulders.

"Pippi..." I groan. "Please, get off, I can't breathe..." She releases me.

"Daria, what class are you in?" Pippi asks excitedly, holding up her form. I reach into my pocket and pull out my form, and I check the class names. They match.

"I'm in the new class, just like you and Elizabeth." I say.

"Really? I get both you and Elizabeth in my class? yay!" Pippi squeals in delight. I'm pretty surprised we got put together again, last year wasn't so good for her in my class. I wonder what class Markus is in...

"You two, quiet, the Assembly is starting." Elizabeth points out, and we take our seats. Pippi rests her head on my shoulder and grasps my hand. It's nice to be affectionate, but this is a bit much...

Someone clears their throat from upon the stage. I look up, and the Principal moves to take the microphone.

"Good morning, Pharkrond High." Principal Terminus speaks into the mic, his voice amplified.

"Good morning, Principal Terminus." The school unanimously replies.

"Today, before we get down to serious business, I would like to introduce a new teacher, who will be taking Homeroom 11R and the Advanced Science classes this year. Please welcome Professor Cameron Repeatro." The Principal says with a slight flourish.

Nothing. Students begin whispering amongst themselves, looking around madly for the new teacher. He's nowhere in sight. Principal Terminus is about to restore order to the Hall when suddenly there's an almighty crash from the main doors.

"I'M HERE, I'M NOT LATE, DO NOT DESPAIR!" A wirey-haired old man shouts, standing in the door way, out of breath and, oddly, wearing a helmet-less biohazard suit. As he catches his breath, two students come into view beyond the man.

"Holy crap, Daria, isn't that Markus and Heath?" Elizabeth whispers to me, and I feel Pippi stiffen at their names. Those two have a bad history with her.

"Yeah, I think it is..." I crane my neck to see over all the other students watching the scene unfold. The Professor manages to catch some breath, and he begins to walk up to the stage. Markus and Heath slink down the side of the hall, their faces burning red.

Markus looks up and sees me, and he makes his way to us, Heath close behind. Elizabeth scoots over one to make space for him next to me, and he sits down. I manages to get my hands and shoulder out from beneath Pippi, and I turn to Markus.

"Where have you been?" I ask him, more worried than upset.

"Me and Heath were getting aquatinted with our new teacher..." He replies breathlessly.

I feel stunned. "He's your new teacher?"

"Yeah, why?"

I look at Pippi and Elizabeth, and I hold up my form. 11R, it reads.

"I'll be damned..." Markus grins, and he hugs me one-handedly just as Principal Terminus manages to regain control of the situation.