Chapter Ten

"Do you think this is short enough, or should I roll it one more time?" Cassie asked, fussing with her Catholic school uniform skirt. We'd spent all afternoon getting ready for the Halloween party that night, making sure we looked absolutely perfect.

I gave Cassie's very short, very scandalous outfit a once over. The plaid skirt was rolled up much higher than the middle of her thigh, and her white blouse was almost entirely unbuttoned and tied at the navel, showcasing the red lace bra she wore underneath. "Um, it's good. Any higher and it'll be a belt."

She looked down and shrugged, "Yeah, I guess you're right. Do you need any help with your costume?"

My choice for the evening was Audrey Hepburn, slightly more modernized. I wore a skintight, short, strapless black dress, with four inch spiky black heels. My hair was piled up into a smooth, high bun, and I pulled long, white gloves up to my elbows. I completed the look with bold, red lipstick and a tiny tiara adorning the top of my head. "No, I think I'm all done," I answered Cassie, spinning around to face her. "What do you think? Is this outfit good enough to recapture Ryan's attention?"

Her mouth dropped open, "Unless he's suddenly gone blind, absolutely. You are going to be the second hottest girl at the bar."

"You being the first I assume?"

"Of course! Now come one, let's grab Alexis and Lisa and go."

The four of us hailed a cab and arrived around 10:00 p.m. There was already a line slinking around the corner of the building. We huddled together for warmth, shivering in the cold night air. Coats obviously would have ruined our outfits. Finally, after enduring our fair share of whistles and catcalls, we entered the dimly lit, smoky bar. We pushed our way through the zombies and sexy nurses, towards the back while I fervently scanned the crowds for Ryan.

A nervous energy pulsed through my body and I kicked myself for not asking him what costume he was coming in. How would I ever recognize him in this crowd? It would have been hard enough to spot him on a regular night with this many people, but the costumes made it nearly impossible. I was so nervous I wanted to bail on the whole night before it even really got started.

Cassie grabbed my hand, pulling me out of my internal monologue and onto the dance floor. I loved to dance and lost myself in the beat of the music. Alexis and Lisa joined us with drinks in their hands, shaking their hips and laughing. I was just beginning to enjoy myself when a girl dressed up as a sexy kitten bumped into my shoulder, cold liquid soaking into my dress, dripping down my legs onto the floor.

"Are you kidding me?" I looked up to confront her and my blood ran cold. Standing in front of me, with an empty cup in her hand, was the mall girl who'd been attached to Ryan's lips.

"Ooops, sorry," she giggled and stumbled, revealing the guy standing behind her. Ryan.

His face looked both shocked and embarrassed as he grabbed the girl around the waist to stop her from falling.

"Lily, I'm so sorry," he yelled over the music, reaching for me with his free hand.

"Don't." I brushed his hand away and stormed off to the bathroom. Wetting a paper towel, I wiped as much of the beer off my dress as I could. Bracing my hands on the sides of the sink, I took a few breaths. This whole night was turning into a disaster. I spent so much time ignoring my feelings for Ryan, and now that I'd finally admitted them out loud, it was too late. The sliver of hope I had when the night started died with the splash of beer. It was clear he had moved on from me and whatever attraction we had was entirely made up in my head, spurred on by Cassie's misguided observations. I wanted nothing more than to slink back to my room and curl up in bed for the rest of the weekend. Taking one more deep breath I reached for the door handle. Flinging open the door, I saw Ryan standing in front of me. "What do you want?" I sneered, trying to brush past him.