Chapter 6

Chapter 6

On her way home, Ajifa was all smiles, even up to her forehead. She didn't imagine she'd enjoy herself the way she did tonight. flashbacks of Nala's art pieces, soft African contemporary music in the background and Alex's dashing smile. She pulled up to a traffic light, car window wound down and the cool evening breeze sweeping through her bouncy wavy hair. Lagos looked exceptionally beautiful tonight, as if it was the first time she was seeing it.

As she pulled up in their garage, she saw seven missed calls from her mother and her heart skipped. She saw her mother come towards the door as she stepped in. "Madam i was worried oh. Where did you go to that you took so long" Dorcas, Ajifa's mum said. Dorcas was a tall, slim woman in her mid fifties that looked younger than her age. She had a cool countenance and was always smiley but could be strict when it came to it.

"Mummy, Nala's art exhibition i told you about na", Ajifa said. "Ah, yes. How was it dear?" Dorcas asked. "It was fantastic! The setting, the organization and you should have seen the paintings. Nala is just amazing. I even bought one. Here", Ajifa showed the painting. "Wow this is really good oh. I'm proud of her. Let's put it in the parlour" her mum said. "Ah, mummy, this one is going in my room oh", Ajifa said. "Oh okay, the Jollof rice in the kitchen is just for me, my son and my husband only", Dorcas said. "Haba mummy. Sweet mother! This painting is all yours ma", Ajifa said with a "Puss in boots" facial expression.

While Ajifa headed upstairs for the shower, she thought she had escaped IT, but then her mum called out, "You told me about the whole exhibition except the Men" she was winking. "Mummy, not this evening please", Ajifa said. "No, i'm just asking" her mum said with an "It's not my business but it is" expression. Dorcas was Ajifa's gist partner but she wasn't going to release the details of today to her just yet. She didn't want to jinx anything, whatever it was.

Ajifa slumped into her soft, gray, king size bed once she had had a cool shower. A text came in from Nala, telling her how happy she was that she came through. Then another text came in, "Thanks for giving me your number. Was nice meeting you". It was Alex. Ajifa was smiling and looking at the text, with her legs up. She hadn't been this excited since she got her car as a gift from her parents after University graduation. She replied the text with "Same here".

To be continued...

➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖
Please don't forget to vote 👍 & leave a comment ✏
Thanks! ❤