Chapter 8

"Why does every one call me that?", Ajifa asked. "You're madam na. You've been hiding your new friend", Dorcas said. "Him meeting you two is a big step mum. I'm not ready for that yet", Ajifa said. "Alright honey, whenever you're ready", James said. "What's his name at least?" her mum asked. "His name is Alex. He's Jude's friend and colleague. They're here on business", Ajifa said. "Oh that's nice. Hmm, see how you're shining", Dorcas winked. "This your dress" James said, meaning it was a bit huggy on Ajifa. Dorcas pinched James. "Ichenyo gbe" meaning "It looks really good". Ajifa looked at her dress. "Thanks, and you two should stop hiding in the dark. Snooping like high school friends", Ajifa said and her parents laughed.

She headed up to her grey themed bedroom, slipped into her baby blue pajamas and started replaying the day. Was this really happening? Was Alex for real? She wondered if there was anything she didn't know about him that he didn't tell her yet. All these thoughts but she was also trying to be optimistic. He probably does feel that way, she felt it. She touched her lips and sighed. She called Nala on the phone.

"Nala, I'm in love" Ajifa almost whispered. "Hallelujah!" Nala shouted with excitement. "I knew it! Lucky Alex. so when do we start making plans?" Nala asked. "What plans?" Ajifa asked. "Wedding plans na. Don't you know i'm the planner?" Nala said. "Hahaha, abeg calm down. We've not even.. i mean, i don't know what we are yet", Ajifa said. "Then it must be because you're hesitant. I'm sure Alex wants to define it already, right?" Nala was almost squealing. "Yes Aunty Nala, you're right", Ajifa said.

"So it's because of Alex you've been scarce lately huh? I'll fight him when i see him", Nala said. "My dear, let me make up for that. Can we meet tomorrow?" Ajifa asked. "Yup, of course. I have nothing doing as it's a Saturday. Aren't you going to the gym?" Nala asked. "I don't think i want to see Alex yet after what happened today, and there's no way i can avoid seeing him there", Ajifa said. "OMG what happened?" Nala asked. "No, nothing bad happened. I'll gist you tomorrow", Ajifa said. "Ugh, the suspense!", Nala said.

The air was incredibly hot that Saturday but it didn't stop the plantain chips and gala hawkers from advertising their goods, displayed on their heads in traffic. "Gosh the traffic in this Lagos ehn", Nala said. "It's a whole 2-hour journey to get from the Mainland to the Island", Ajifa agreed. The waiter served them their orders, two freshly squeezed drinks, one was orange with a slice of lemon hanging from the edge of the drinking glass and the other, a pineapple drink, with zits of coconut swimming in the tall glass.

The girls had barely started sipping their drinks, when Nala clapped her hands in a gist-like manner, leaned forward and said, "Ehen, so what's up with you and Mr hulk?". Ajifa laughed. "Must you nickname everybody? He's good. What the heck, he's perfect. A perfect gentleman". Nala looked puzzled "So what is now the issue Ajis?" Nala asked. "I don't just want what happened between i and ...". "Nothing like that will happen" Nala retorted. Ajifa sighed and said "He kissed me". Nala inhaled with excitement. "And said he loves me" Ajifa said. Nala smiled all the way to her ears. "Uuuuh, so sweet! What did you say?" she asked expectantly. Ajifa bit her lower lip, "I said nothing". Nala stared blankly and slumped back into her turquoise coloured chair.
"Alright, i understand your fear, but you gotta leave the past behind and take a leap of faith" Nala said. Ajifa smiled and raised her drink, "Preach sister!". Nala curled her mouth angles, "I'm serious Ajifa". "Yeah, i know. I will", Ajifa nodded positively.

"What's up ladies?" a male voice said. The girls looked up and stared in horror.

To be continued...

➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖
Please don't forget to vote 👍 & leave a comment ✏
Thanks! ❤