Chapter 9

"Ajifa if you want, i can call the police", Nala said with a knowing look on her face. "No Nala, i'll handle this. Biodun... what are you doing here and how did you know we'd be here?" Ajifa said. "Come on Ajis, i know this is you girls' favourite spot", he said. Nala looked at Ajifa with a raised eyebrow. Ajifa looked apologetically back at her. "I've been trying to reach you for a while now. Can we speak? Alone", Biodun glanced at Nala, hoping she'd get the message. "Whatever it is you have to say, you say to the both of us, or leave", Ajifa said. "Fair enough", Biodun said and took a seat.

Ajifa shifted in her seat. She was uneasy with his presence but tried to mask it. It had been two years since she had seen him. Since the third mainland bridge incident. Since when he.. "The view is truly lovely. Wow, look at that...", Biodun said, breaking Ajifa out of her thoughts. "Straight to the point Biodun. What do you want?", Ajifa asked calmy. "You", he uttered. "I am so sorry about what happened between us the last time. Please give me a chance to fix this", he reached forward for her right hand. She withdrew sharply. "You mean the last time you tried to..." She stopped and inhaled. "I've heard you, you can leave now" Ajifa said. Nala nodded and gestured him towards the restaurant's exit.

Biodun clenched his jaw. "It's because of that big-for-nothing Captain America you flock around with in Lagos, right?". Ajifa stared at him in terror. "Are you following me?" she questioned in a raised voice. "I told you we should call the police", Nala said. "Yes, i have to know who my girl hangs with", Biodun said, ignoring Nala. "I am not your girl! Ajifa retorted. "Now leave before i call..." "Call him to come beat me up?" Biodun asked. "Well, he'll do that for sure", Ajifa said smiling. He stood up and put his hands on the table. "You'll definitely be seeing me soon" Biodun said with a smirk. "And we'll be waiting" Nala said sternly, clenching her fist.

Biodun stormed out of the restaurant angrily and drove away in his red Ferrari enzo. Nala moved closer to Ajifa and held her. "That man is a beast and a terrorist. Don't worry Ajis, he won't dare do any thing to you", Nala said. Ajifa nodded. "You'll have to tell Alex though", Nala looked expectantly. "Every thing?" Ajifa frowned. "Every thing", Nala nodded reassuringly. The two ladies finished their drinks and it suddenly became tasteless in Ajifa's mouth. How was she going to narrate the whole story to Alex?... Just how?

The following monday, Ajifa got to work and found a bouquet of yellow roses on her desk. She saw a note on it that read, "For you, my Queen". She smiled and called Alex on her phone. "It's good that you know my favourite choice of flowers, are yellow roses". Ajifa said. "Well, great to know that, only that, i didn't send those" Alex said. "Haha, funny". Ajifa said with a nervous chuckle. "No really, i didn't. So who beat me to it?" Alex asked. "Uhm, no idea", Ajifa lied. "Hey, when are you free today? I'd like to talk", Ajifa said. "For you? any time. But i'll be closing from work at 5pm. I can come pick you up from work at 6:00. That okay?" Alex asked. "Yes, it's perfect. See you then", Ajifa said. "Alright sweets. I.. I love you", Alex said. Ajifa laughed shyly and cut the call.

At 5:50, Alex was already there to pick her up. They went to a quiet bar, which had upcoming and renowned artistes performing there, only on Fridays. He noticed that Ajifa's countenance was different today. She was a bit absent and kept looking around at their surroundings. "I didn't know we were on some private investigation work", Alex said comically. "Ajifa didn't laugh and that got Alex more worried. "Alex, someone's following us... i mean, me. There's something i haven't told you yet", Ajifa said. Alex sat up. He knew this was more serious than it seemed. "My ex is back in town", Ajifa said. "Has he been bothering you? Are you okay?" Alex asked. "Yeah i'm fine. Only that i didn't tell you that.." Alex cut in "That what?" he said. "That he is CJ don." Alex raised his eyebrows and blurted out, "CJ don?"

To be continued...

➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖
Please don't forget to vote 👍 & leave a comment ✏
Thanks! ❤