12. No Escape

~Ollie's Point Of View~

I raced to get across town. I had to find Nellie.

The night sky was illuminated with the fires that flooded the streets. Everything was chaos.

People running and screaming for their lives, SWAT teams scoped out certain alleyways, but the havoc was just worsening.

My eyes desperately searched to find the monster that had taken over Nellie. I asked people here and there if they'd seen her, they all said the same thing in response..

That she was a monster and we were all doomed.

I cleared my throat and kept walking. My blond hair was sweaty and scruffy. My skin was hot and dirty from all the smoke.

No matter how much my conditions could worsen, I wasn't going to give up.

I looked around, I was standing in a street all alone. No one was in sight. I decided to seize the opportunity.

"Nellie!!" I called out. My voice echoing through the street.

There was no response.

"Nellie!!" I called out again, this time with more volume.

I heard a noise and whipped around to see what Nellie had become.

Her pale and scrawny form was towering over me. Blood-soaked white hair laid on her bony shoulders. Her eyes were black and lifeless, her smile was monstrous and evil.

This really was a monster..

She roared something unintelligent in my face. I stood my ground. "Nellie.." I murmured, approaching her slowly.

She cocked her head to the side, as if she was confused on why I wasn't running.

"Nellie.. It's me, Ollie." I stepped closer to her, my hand out.

Nellie frowned and effortlessly picked me up by the collar. She leaned close to my ear, "what do you want??" She hissed.

"To talk. Just me and you." I gasped.

She tilted her head down to ponder. "Meet me where this all began." She hissed, "when you do, I'll decide when I should eat you." She cackled evilly and dropped me to the ground.

And with that, she left.

I sat on the ground wondering, "where it all began?" I mumbled.

My mind traveled. I thought of every place I'd seen Nellie. But, where it all began? I thought long and hard.

My eyes snapped open. I knew where I needed to meet her. I popped up off the ground and began running to my destination.

~~~~~~

I was standing at the doors of the department store where I'd first met Nellie. Surprisingly, this place was untouched. Yet, not a single person was here.

Hesitantly, I opened up the door and stepped inside.

The lights had been dimmed and an eerie chill ran up and down my spine.

"Hello?" I asked timidly.

I began walking down an isle, squinting to see in the small amount of light.

Suddenly, large hands grabbed onto me and pulled my body upwards. I was being carried somewhere, but I was too petrified to say anything.

I was soon set down in what looked like a storage room.

Nellie stood lifelessly in a dark corner. "You have 5 minutes. Talk." She growled.

I paused and gathered my thoughts. I cleared my throat, "okay.. I wanted to say that I'm sorry."

Nellie stepped into the dim light with an eyebrow raised in confusion.

"I'm sorry that I always annoyed you." I blurted, "that was never my intention. I just wanted to be your friend, I wanted to be there for you.." I trailed off.

Nellie's eyes showed the slightest of light which gave me hope.

"I enjoyed your company." I continued. "You're sarcastic and rude. But, for some reason I just couldn't stay away." I brushed my blond hair out of my eyes. "I'm sorry that I was stubborn and refused to leave you when you asked."

Nellie cocked her head to the side, listening intently.

I slowly stood up from the ground and began to approach her. "Even though, you might be scared or doubtful of yourself, I'm not. I have faith in you. I know you can do the right thing. I'm here for you." I promised, drawing closer to her.

I watched in awe as her body began to shrink to its natural height. Her eyes were slowly clearing.

I gently took hold of her hand which had become smaller. "Nellie, I won't give up on you. I love you." I smiled brightly.

Nellie's eyes turned back to their original blue. She gasped, "you do?"

"Absolutely without a doubt." I pulled her into a hug. I felt her arms hesitantly  wrap around me.

"I haven't heard someone say that in a long time.." She whispered softly.

I pulled out of the hug and smiled even more as she slowly began to change back.

She looked at me with a bright smile. "I love you too."

I suddenly stepped back. "Wait a second.." My eyes widened, "Nellie, you wouldn't say that."

"What do you mean?" She asked innocently, stepping closer to me.

"You're stubborn and rude. You never would have returned that phrase." I spoke.

Nellie smiled evilly. "Smart boy." She changed back instantly to the monster she was. "I still have time for more fun." She cackled.

I stepped back again in horror, "how do I stop this??" I pleaded.

She glared at me with black eyes. "You can't." She whispered softly. "There's no escape."