14. Final Phase

~Nellie's Point Of View~

My eyes opened slowly and immediately I felt a throbbing pain in my head.

I sat up and touched my head where I'd been hit. I winced at the pain and then glanced down at my legs.

It was then that I realized, I was back to normal. I was human again. My legs were back to normal!

I smiled slightly and turned around to tell Ollie. When I did, he wasn't on the floor where I'd left him..

My eyes widened, where I had killed him..

His body wasn't even here! He had to be alive, right?

I scrambled to get off the ground and on my feet. My body was sore. My mouth tasted of rust and blood.
It was disgusting.

But, I didn't care. Ollie has done so much for me and all I did in return was nearly kill him!

I began walking to the front doors of the hardware store. I grabbed the door handle and pulled it open.

It was the late afternoon. I had been out for awhile I guess.

I looked around the small town I'd lived in.. It was entirely engulfed in flames. Ash and smoke filled the air.

There was not a single person on the streets or anywhere, in fact.

I was alone. I was the one who made this mess..

I didn't want it to go this far..

I sat down on the sidewalk curb. I felt my eyes filling with tears quickly.
I was angry.. I was sad.. I was afraid..
I buried my head in my hands and sobbed.

~Ollie's Point Of View~

I was running faster and faster. The wind blew my blond hair back and my legs had grown tired. But I kept going.

The evening had come and when it did, I had arrived at what remained of my hometown.

Just like my mom said.. Buildings were on fire, smoke filled the air, dead bodies were all over the ground.

"Nellie.. What have you done?" I whispered as I slowed to a stop.

I glanced at my surroundings, looking for any signs of another person.

Nothing.

I was persistent, that's for sure. I began walking towards the hardware store where i'd last saw Nellie.. Where she almost killed me..

I pulled the collar of my shirt up to wear it covered my mouth and nose. I didn't want the smoke to fill up my lungs and intoxicate me.

I made my way down the streets. Blood was painted on the sidewalks. Whatever remained of the buildings had been battered by what looks like mobs of people.

The town must have tried to fight back.

I decided to enter a grocery store that appeared to be somewhat intact.