Fists and Skateboards

Keeping up with Yoongi is like expecting to keep up with a bus in the process of speeding up.

At first, you think: I can do it! I can totally catch the driver's attention before the bus is gone.

Then after a few seconds, you realize: no.

Just no.

I've somehow kept up with him so far, but the road he decided to take is riddled with loose stones and broken concrete. In all honesty, it's a skater's deathtrap.

Without warning, he takes a sharp left.

An alley? Why isn't he following the main road?

I hop off my skateboard and nestle it under my arm. A group of people nearby are screaming at each other in agitation, but I can't make out the words. I crouch down and approach the alley.

Peeping around the side of the building, my eyes go wide. A man at the far end of the alley is twirling a gun in his hand. He hasn't turned around yet.

"Holy sh--!" Yoongi's dark eyes frighteningly catch mine. He snatches my hand, puts an arm around my chest, and frantically pulls me behind a nearby trash can, sliding down to the ground.

A blush crawls up my neck and breaks the barrier to my cheeks.

Where does he think his arm is resting?

I start to fidget, but his grip is firm.

"I saw him go past here!" A loud voice booms down a nearby alley.

"Just stay quiet," Yoongi whispers in my ear. His breath smells heavily of mint and forces me to relax. He pulls me in closer and rests his head on my shoulder, setting my nerves on edge.

I consciously shuffle my feet behind the rim of the trash can, trying to focus on something other than his minty breath. He softly breaks the silence. "Come further into the shadows if you can."

I nod and push back, now firmly pressed against Yoongi's chest. "What's going--"

"Shh." I shiver as the cold rungs of his earring nestle themselves against my neck.

"We searched the alleys. He must have gone ahead!" a voice echoes.

"Head to the other side of town. Scan everything." The clatter of footsteps comes closer...closer...

My eyes widen in fear, but Yoongi pulls me in even closer and slips a hand over my mouth. His cold fingers feel soft on my lips. "Quiet and stay still."

Several men storm out of the alley. One or two look back, but having been blinded by the sun, they never see us huddled against the trash can. A few moments later they vanish, as if nothing had disturbed the silence to begin with.

Finally, Yoongi releases his grip. He stands up rather abruptly, snatches his skateboard, and turns to face me.

"Sorry," he mutters. He throws his skateboard on the ground.

"Who were they?"

His eyes wander. "It's safer for you not to know. Keep going home."

Yoongi takes my brief silence as a confirmation of my agreement. Soon, he's rolling down the alley and out of sight.

Wait!

Aggravated, I throw my skateboard down. Barely catching sight of his black hoodie as he turns the corner, I pick up speed and weave around the rubble scattered on the street.

"Hold up!"

Realizing that he hasn't abandoned me just yet, Yoongi cuts the corner down another alley, intent on losing me.