Darling Dear

Mouse versus cat.

Tortoise versus hare.

Y/N versus mother.

It's clear which one is at a disadvantage.

"If you take another step into this room, I don't know what I'll do," I growl. I'm already fingering a knife stored in a compartment under my desk.

My nerves are on edge and shot from my breakdown. If my mother steps into the room even just a little more, I might regret my next action.

"If you throw that toy from your desk," she warns, "Changmin will be coming to this office indefinitely."

With strained effort, I pry my fingers from the knife and close the compartment.

"Have you established a hunter to take care of the bounty?"

"I researched the targets."

"What research?" she scoffs. "Looking up a few pictures? You spent the entire afternoon staring at their photos?"

Not knowing how to reply, I press my lips together. The tabby in my lap protectively curls up on my legs, much to my mother's dismay.

"Get rid of those things. Immediately."

"They're a gift from Changmin. Tell him to get rid of the cats if you want them out of my office so badly."

"Get rid of them." The glint in her eyes tells me she won't take no for an answer. A shiver creeps along my spine.

"I said they're a gift from Changmin."

"Get. Them. Out."

"What do you have against--"

"Cho Y/N."

"I'm not taking them anywhere!" I shout. The cat jumps off my lap as I abruptly push away the chair. "Get out of my office!"

"Your office? You call this your office? I can easily get rid of it."

"Then do that! I don't want this f*cking place!"

"What about Changmin?"

A cord snaps in my heart. "Stop bringing up Changmin! I told you I'll have the assignment done by Monday! Leave me alone until then!"

I cross my hands over my mouth.

Shit. I was planning to push it back to Wednesday.

"If you're not done by then, Changmin will be coming back immediately." My mother scans the room and spots the other tabby. She briskly makes her way over to the cat.

"Stop!" I demand. She keeps walking. "I said, stop!"

She reaches the tabby. It scampers away and cowers in the corner. Without any way to escape, she roughly grabs it by the scruff and pulls it from the floor.

Snapping into action, I barrel across the room and snatch the tabby into my arms. "Get the hell out!"

"Where's the other one?" my mother mumbles absentmindedly. She spots the tabby that I left by my office desk.

Without breaking stride, she rushes to the desk. I let down the one in my arms. "I said, get the hell out!"

Her arm reaches under the desk. The tabby sprints out from underneath without letting her get close to its neck.

My mother's eye starts to twitch. She slowly stands up from my desk and turns to face me, her attention now diverted from the tabbies.

"Don't come any closer," I warn her. She walks in my direction. "Keep away!"