Dangerous

A/N

This is a bit of a longer chapter than usual, surpassing my usual cap by 600+ words. I hope you enjoy! ♡

---

Tears dry, hands clasped, I silently watch as building after building rolls by the window, ceaselessly appearing and vanishing at every traffic light, every street, every corner.

The repetitivity lulls me into a trance -- into a distracted state of mind in which my surroundings no longer call for my immediate attention.

The driver takes his time with navigating the streets, clearly only getting paid for my arrival at the corporation, and not for how long I'm under his care or how well he treats me.

Not once am I asked if I need water or food. How my day was. The driver is utterly silent, unfazed by my unresponsive demeanor in return.

My eyes drift down to my phone. I'm tempted to text the guys and ask how they're doing.

They probably hate me. They have nowhere to go, and I kicked them out.

Abused by my guilty conscience, I tear my focus away and redirect it outside the window.

Ever since I was toddler, my mother has been obsessed with training me to take over her company. She preached company policies over and over again, practically ingraining them into my skull before releasing me into the world at the prime time of kindergarten.

Stop hanging out with those kids. That kind of life is not for you.

Don't you know better? Your entire career depends on your actions and behavior.

Things only got worse when she gave birth to my younger brother, Cho Changmin. Every time I forgot about my responsibilities, she would target him, and blame me for it.

Changmin is the next in line. Do you want him to live a normal life?

Changmin is at school right now. Don't you dare make me pull him out.

This is the last time you'll ever do this, you hear me? Maybe it's time for Changmin to step in...

All of which would end with me in tears.

I was lucky to go to school. Sometimes I'd be pulled out for weeks at a time, but I was always able to return before the year ended and catch up with my studies.

I argued my education was important.

Later I realized that if it was for the good of the company, it didn't matter what I did.

When I was still in elementary school, I was the quietest kid on Earth. My mother's words would endlessly tumble in my thoughts. I'd never socialize, and only speak when called upon by the teacher. I only came for the education, petrified to expand my interests.

In middle school, I started socializing more. Started engaging in things I liked, under my mother's radar. I would draw and paint and color. I would sing and dance and rap. I would start joining clubs, and test out which ones were the most engaging -- from newspaper club to robotics, nothing bored me.

Except for speech and debate.

Although, rather than boring me, it just reminded me of my fights with my mother.

High school was completely different. Since then, I distanced myself, only speaking to whoever I needed to for projects and activities.

I recently started searching for ways to escape the expansive net my mother had trapped me in. What other jobs could I take? How can one fall off the radar? How does one move from one country to the next?