Act Two ~ Scene Nine

(Jeremy wakes up in a hospital bed. Next to him is RICH, in a full body cast.)

JEREMY
Hello?

(He tries to get up.)

Ow. Ow ow ow ow ow.

RICH
Feels like you're missing a part of yourself, doesn't it?

JEREMY
...Rich?

RICH
Hurts like a =07#3>/u€k3> too. Be honest: what are they saying about me at school? (Beat.) That bad?

JEREMY
Sorry...

RICH
Sorry? I'm finally free of that shiny happy hive mind! When I get outta here, the ladies are gonna learn to love the real Richard Goranski. (an epiphany) And the dudes. Oh my god, I'm totally bi!

JEREMY
Your squip's gone? But how?

RICH
Ask your buddy. Anti-social headphones kid? He's been by like, a ton, by the way. What is he, your boyfriend? No judgment. Just curious. Totally bi now.

(MICHAEL enters.)

MICHAEL
I'm sure some special someone will be lucky to have you, Rich.

RICH
You think?

(MICHAEL pulls the hospital curtain shut on RICH.)

JEREMY
What happened? All I remember is that noise, and...

MICHAEL
Oh man, it was genius! They were communicating with each other – they were linked! Which means... when you consider the kind of high-frequency sonic disturbance needed to wipe a system that powerful...

JEREMY
Michael. My head still hurts.

MICHAEL
Right, ah... Turns out you didn't have to destroy every Squip. Just one. And the rest... (He mimes explosions) Boom boom boom.

(A beat. JEREMY takes him in.)

JEREMY
I don't get it. After everything I did... You were still there for me. Why?

MICHAEL
I can't take all the credit. Your dad can be shockingly persuasive.

JEREMY
My dad?

(JEREMY'S DAD enters. For the first time in the play, he is wearing real pants.)

JEREMY'S DAD
Jeremy, are you okay?

JEREMY
Actually, I'm great—

JEREMY'S DAD
I'm glad. Because you're grounded. You're going to see some serious changes, young man, starting... (he notices JEREMY is grinning) What?

JEREMY
Dad... You're...wearing...

JEREMY'S DAD
Don't look so surprised. I'm your father. And I wear the pants around here! Now let's get down to business: who's this Christine person, and why did I have to hear about her from him?

JEREMY
It doesn't matter. After what I did, I'm lucky if she wants to go to the same school as me. (he sees MICHAEL and his DAD exchange a look) What?

MICHAEL
It's reassuring. He still doesn't know anything about girls.

"Voices In My Head"

JEREMY'S DAD
YOU GOTTA BUY HER A ROSE
COMPLIMENT HER ON HER CLOTHES

MICHAEL
SAY YOU APPRECIATE THAT'S SHE'S SMART

(RICH pulls back to the curtain to reveal he's been eavesdropping.)