Prologue

"It's getting worse." I say closing my eyes. "The change is happening more frequently...I'm asleep longer now...after I mean. Father never said anything about it getting this bad before. I...I don't know what to do."

I open my eyes and look at the headstone. My brother's name etched into it like scars into skin. It had only been a year since he was killed but it felt like an eternity. There was no one left in our family but me. I was the last of the Morton's and I was okay with keeping it that way. I stopped going to the village years ago as to keep myself secluded and closed to anyone else. I would let the curse die with me in the end. I felt a deep pain blooming in my stomach and I grit my teeth together.

"Here we go again." I say hoarsely. 

I stagger to my feet and stumble away from the small family cemetery and head into the woods. I shrug off the coat and throw it closer to the path. My skin burns and feels like it could just slide off my bones. I scratch at my arms and tear my flesh away. My fingernails sharpen into claws as I rip out of my shirt and fall to the ground. I let out a cry of pain, but it only sounds like a monster growling. I squeeze my eyes shut and slip into burning darkness. When I open my eyes again, I'm no longer control of this body. The beast is free and the beast does whatever it wants.