Chapter 14

We were almost to his village. The sun was starting to hide behind the horizon as we rode across the flat land. We had left the castle a few days ago. I left almost everything behind. Cora and Elias would remain to keep anyone from taking the land but I was now free to leave. We passed through the village after nightfall just because I wanted to see it before I left. I hadn't seen it since I was a child but it hadn't changed much. We floated south down the river and around the mountains until we came to the village that was only a days ride away from his. I had never been on a boat so I was excited with the way we went but Joseph stayed by the side constantly feeling nauseous. Now we were only a few minutes away from arriving to his home.

"Are you nervous?" He asked from behind me.

"Yes." I say pursing my lips.

"Don't be." He says kissing the back of my head. "I won't let anything happen to you."

I smile and notice the nervousness fade away. The mate bond really helped in these situations. Finally a few people had noticed our arrival and others had gathered to see who was coming. Once they noticed Joseph, they welcomed him back and a few ran away to tell everyone else. At the edge, he stopped the horse and hopped down before helping me off. He stood between the people and me as they openly gawked at me. He put his arm around me and led me through the village. We made it to the center of the village and stopped at the biggest building. A big man came out and looked us up and down.

"Joseph." He says with a deep voice.

"Oscar." Joseph nods.

"A word please." He demands and holds the door open.

"Of course." He says and steps forward before looking at me. "I'll be right back. Just wait here."

I nod and watch him walk inside. Oscar gives me another look before walking inside after him and closing the door. I stare at it for a moment before looking around. I see a woman and a little girl and somehow I know that they are his family. They stare at me and I give a small wave. The little girl says something to her mother before walking over. Her mother tries to stop her but she slips through her grasp. She stops a few feet away from me and waves.

"Hi." She says.

"Hi."

"You came with my brother." She says. "Are you the girl from the castle?"

"Yes." I nod and crouch lower as she takes a few more steps towards me.

"I'm glad you're okay." She says smiling. "He left to save you."

"I know...and he did." I say smiling too. "What's your name?"

"Freya."

"Well Freya, it's nice to finally meet you." I say and hold out my hand. "My name is Valerie."

She smiles wider and shakes my hand. "I love your hair." She says excitedly.

I let out a chuckle. "Thank you. I love your pretty green eyes."

She blushes. "Me too."

"Why did he bring you here?" I glance up and see her mother a few feet behind her. "He said that you would never leave your castle." She pulled Freya away from me and held her to her. "He said you were cursed."

I frown and stand up. I glance around and see a few people lingering to listen. "This isn't something I want to talk about right now." I say calmly. "I can explain everything but I would rather wait for your son."

"Is it true that the curse will pass on to your children?" She asks accusingly.

I bite my cheek and stare at her. She's only scared. "I will tell you everything you want to know...but not now...not out here."