Chapter 19

I wasn't awake but I was aware. I still felt exhausted...so much so that I couldn't even move or open my eyes. Something was wrong though. I couldn't feel anything anymore...no pain at least. I could still feel Joseph sleeping next to me but his warmth felt more like fire. I realized that I was cold...too cold. My wolf whimpered and I felt my chest moving too slowly. It was so hard to breathe. I let out a small gasp and Joseph stirred awake.

"Val?" His voice was deep from sleep. He took a breath before freezing up. "Val?!"

He moved away from me suddenly and I heard him fall on the floor. "No....Valarie."

I heard him clamber off the floor and felt his hands on me, shaking me. "Valarie, wake up."

I could just barely open my eyes. His face was distraught. "That's it, stay awake Val. I'm going to get help."

He ran out of the room shouting. I barely moved my head so I could look around but stopped when I smelt blood. I looked further down the bed and saw the red stained sheets on my legs. This is not good. I am dying. I could feel it...like I had felt it before. Joseph ran back in followed by a team of people rushing around. The doctor touched my face, my wrists and they moved the blankets off. They were too late. I moved my hand to try to touch Joseph.

"J...Joe." My voice barely made a sound but his eyes snapped to mine.

"I'm right here Valarie." He had tears running down his cheeks. "I'm not going anywhere."

"Pro...mise me...Cal..."

"I promise sweetheart." He whispered.

I pulled him closer and tell him something. He nodded his head. "Of course...Perfect."

"I love you." My voice is strong but only for the last time.

"I love you too." He says and kisses my forehead.

I can feel my body relax and I think he does too. His eyes widen.

"Valarie... no..."

My eyes close and I let go. As soon as I do that, it's like I'm sinking away again...only this time I won't be coming back. I can hear him calling my name and everyone is panicking. There is nothing any of them could do. Once it's pitch black, I wait as all the voices and sounded melt together into a loud ring.

Then I open my eyes.

I find myself in the familiar woods around the castle. The sun is warm as it shines through the trees. I pull myself up off the grass and stand. I can hear the birds chirping and the sound of the wind rustling in the trees. I'm sad but I feel slightly happy.

"A deal is a deal." Her voice sends a chill down my spine. I slowly turn to see the witch and her beast behind me.

"I understand."

"You had a good run there for a bit dear." She says raising her eyebrows. She then smiles wickedly and shakes her head. "Nothing good lasts for long though."

She snaps her fingers and the beast begins to walk around me. "It's time for you to get back to work."

My eyes snap to hers. "We had a deal...I bear children and that thing stays away...it's over...that's what you promised me."

"Well not exactly." She says. "Your family will never ever have it as good as you just did. I promised you a baby girl and I delivered all while keeping my pet at bay...but your dream of a happy little family it time to end Valarie."

"No—"

"Don't worry dear...they won't all have him." She scowls. "Normally they would but that witchy mother-in-law of yours has been spinning her own magic."