Chapter 9

After almost three days of traveling, Joseph and Felix could see their home on the horizon. Joseph was still uneasy about being home but it was no longer the main issue he was having. Every night, his mind wandered back to the castle and every morning when he woke up, he was disappointed to find that it was only a dream. Felix ignored his friend's somber attitude and tried to keep him happy.

"I bet they already elected Caleb to be the Alpha." Joseph says plainly as they neared their village. "I wouldn't even mind." He said quietly.

"Chin up Jo, no one would proceed unless they had word from me. I told them that I was bringing you back." Felix says.

Joseph rolls his eyes and glances backwards. He tells himself that if he squints really hard, he can see the mountains...but he knows they are down too far south to see them anymore. He looks forward again and a frown settles on his face. In just a few minutes, people will be able to see them in the distance. He began to prepare himself for everything that was coming towards him soon. The council would be very displeased with the way he handled his brother's death, as would the rest of the pack. Felix sped up and left Joseph behind. Soon people from the village were coming out into the open to greet them. Joseph ignored most of them until he slid off his horse. Someone grabbed the reigns and took the horse from him. By the force of the crowd move them both into the center of the village.

"Joseph!" A booming voice echoes over the crowd.

"Oscar." Joseph greets him as the large man comes into the crowd.

Oscar pulls Joseph forward into a tight hug. "We must go inside and discuss dome things."

Joseph nods and follows him inside the big building. Inside, he can see the rest of the Elders. Joseph takes in a deep breath and settles inside with the rest of them.

While he sits in a room getting chastised for his behavior, new events begin to unravel in the mountain village. The men who came a few days before are gathered in the tavern, planning their revenge. Up in the castle, Valerie wakes up from a small shift. She stretches and cracks her aching bones. She leaves the room for food. Cora prepares something quickly while Elias leaves the castle and heads for the village. Everything had seemingly gone back to normal for them.

A blond woman and her dark haired daughter wait outside the meeting hall where her son is inside. The little girl sits next to the wall and watches her mother pace. They were excited to see him but nervous about the elder's reaction to his absence. It takes almost an hour before the door opens, stopping her in her tracks. Her eyes brighten with joy at the sight of her son and he smiles warmly at her.

"Joseph." She almost cries. She hurries to him and they embrace each other tightly. "I thought I lost you too." She whispers to him.

After a few moments, she releases him and he picks up his younger sister in a hug.

"Let's go home." He says to them and they leave the meeting hall while Oscar and a few other elders watched.

Once they were closer to his mother's house, she squeezed his arm gently.

"What did they say?" Her voice is calm but he can sense her worry.

"They wanted to know where I had gone and why I was gone for so long." He says setting his sister down. "There is much that I need to tell you mother...but first let's get inside."

She glances around and then nods after noticing a few people still walking about the village. Once inside, with the door closed, Joseph slumps down in a chair at the table.

"They want me to step up and be the Alpha." He says sounding somber.

"That's excellent." His mother says proudly touching his shoulder.