Chapter 5

Joseph and Felix had continued to make their way through the dark woods. They stopped after awhile and ate but only for a brief moment.

"What were you even doing there Jo?" Felix asked.

They hadn't talked since they left the castle and Felix had many questions. He stared at his friend who was eating slowly as if deep in thought. Joseph glanced at him and shrugged.

"They asked for my help." He sighed and took another bite.

"She didn't seem the type to--"

"Not her...Cora...the other woman...she came to the town after I shifted and was caught. I was in the stockade for a day and at the end she came and asked for help."

"You were in the stockade? You idiot-"

"That's not the point Felix." He snapped and Felix glared at him. "She's a werewolf mate. But cursed...I don't know...it's weird."

"Why does it matter?" Felix asks him making Joseph look up at him. "Why is it any of your business? Huh?" He pointed at him. "You don't belong up here."

"I don't want to be Alpha, Felix." Joseph sighed and closed his eyes. He ran a hand down his face. "Adam was supposed to be Alpha...I wasn't trained and I certainly lived my whole life thinking I would never have the burden of that responsibility."

"Get over yourself." Felix scowled. "Do you think anyone wanted your brother to die? No. Everyone thought it was going to be him that would drive out the rouges and make everything better...but now we have you...and you are all that we have left. Whether you like it or not...we need you."

Joseph was staring into the darkness of the woods. Felix sighed.

"I know that you aren't prepared but we are all willing to help you become the next Alpha."

Joseph stood up and looked around.

"I know you needed to get away to mourn but it's-"

"Shh." Joseph waved his hand at him.

"Don't-"

"Shut up Felix." He almost yelled at him. "We are no longer alone."

Felix stands and looks around. "What is it?"

"Listen. I need you to shift and run as fast as you can...just get out of the woods." Joseph says suddenly looking at him. He grabs his shoulders. "Promise me that you won't stop until you get out of the woods."

"No—what is going on?" He pushes him off. "I came to get you and I'm not leaving without you!"

"Go! I'll find you in the village tomorrow, just go before she gets here!" Joseph pushes him back towards the road.

"Who?"

"Valerie."

A howl could be heard in the distance and Joseph started shedding his clothes.

"What are you doing?!" Felix is now starting to panic.

"Go Felix. Run as fast as you can and don't look back. I have to stop her." He said throwing his shirt to the ground. He tensed up and looked at his friend who was now staring at the jagged scars on his side. "For the love of God Felix, RUN!"

Before he could protest, Joseph runs off into the woods and shifts. Felix stares after him but shakes his head.

"Your mother is going to kill me." He mutters and takes off towards the village.

Joseph's wolf runs towards the castle as fast as it can. He catches Valerie's wolf's scent and changes his course. He doesn't make it halfway back before he's attacked from the side. Valerie's wolf tackles him to the ground. The wolf is the same size as his. It has scars and already has blood on its snout. It growls aggressively at him and he takes a chance. He shifts back into human form.