Chapter 17

I stared at the baby in my arms. Her hair was dark and wispy around her head. I felt frozen and I couldn't breathe. I had never given babies a thought in the world after I turned for the first time and now holding one in my arms felt impossible. The tiny thing was sound asleep as it was wrapped in blankets.

"Thank you Luna."

I snapped my gaze to the woman in front of me with her outstretched arms. I smiled as I came out of my baby-induced trace and handed her back her child. I felt a pang of jealousy at the look on her face when she had her child back in her arms. I watched her leave and stayed where I stood until she was gone.

"Valerie?" Joseph's mother came up to me and touched my shoulder. "Are you alright dear?"

I had now been here a few more months since the wedding and Joseph's mother and I had become closer. My hand instinctively touched my stomach and I ran from her to the creek. She followed and watched as I fell to my knees. She covered her mouth as I threw up. She helped me up and took me back to her house. She made me a cup of tea and sat across the table from me.

"How long has this been happening?" She asks clasping her hands over the table.

I sighed and set the cup down. "A few weeks."

Neither one of us said anything for a moment before I looked at her.

"I'm pregnant." I say with a mix of excitement and apprehension. "And...I'm scared." My hands are shaking as she looks at me.

"Does Joseph know?" She asks.

"Not yet...I...wanted to be sure." I say shaking my head.

"There is nothing to fear Valerie." She said walking around the table and touching my shoulder. "Everything will be alright."

I nodded but didn't say anything. My mind wandered back to the witch and the deal we made. It made my stomach twist and I frowned. We stayed inside for a bit longer before I left. I walked slowly to my home and I thought about the baby. My wolf stirred.

"Are you going to tell them?" She asked.

I made it inside the house before answering. "No."

"They have a right—"

"I don't want to worry them." I say shaking my head. "It's too soon."

"When?"

"I don't know yet."

My wolf left me and I sighed.

"What's troubling you dear?" She asks as she sits back down and I look at her.

"I'm just nervous I guess." I shake the thoughts from my head. "I...I don't know how to be a mother."

She smirked and shook her head. "Everything will come naturally, you'll see."

Little fox came out of her room and looked at us quizzingly. "What's wrong mama?"

"Nothing dear." She says welcoming her into a hug.

"You're going to be an aunt little fox." I say quietly and she instantly perks up at the sound of that.

"Really?" Her eyes widen and excitement is clear on her face. "Is it a boy or a girl? What its name? When-"

"Freya!" Her mother stops her and she lets out a chuckle. "It's too soon to know anything yet."

"Oh." She frowned.

"Don't worry though, you'll be the first to know." I say smiling and her frown disappeared.

"Run along now little fox." Her mother nudges away.