||Thirty-Seven|Older||

"Kiss me now that I'm older, I won't try to control you."
-12:51

She had gone—all dolled up, and dressed her best; her bangs swept to the side against her cheekbone. She had actually worn makeup—mascara and foundation to even her skin. Her cat-colored eyes still bright, glowing in every light she stood under. There was something exotically beautiful about Harlow—her pale eyes and olive toned skin.

She hadn't realized just how much Tyler found her attractive until she answered the door. His eyes widened and his mouth seemed to fall open; he couldn't help but to look her up and down, lacking all discretion about checking her out.

The car ride was awkward—mostly silent. It wasn't until the car came to a stop on a familiar street that Harlow realized where they were.

She was a firm believer in things happening for a reason, but this was much bigger than some kind of coincidence—this had to be fate. She laughed, looking up the street to the apartment complex.

Tyler killed the engine, his palms sweaty and his gut building with nausea. "I have to tell you something. I, ah... I don't know if we'll be able to get in." He laughed nervously, releasing a heavy sigh. "I wasn't invited to this party- I heard about it, thought that if I got in, maybe you'd like me, wanna date me or something, but... now that we're here- now that we're actually here... I don't know if it's worth it. I'm probably gonna look like a jackass." He swallowed hard, speaking too fast.

Harlow's smile fell, finding the situation outstanding comical. "You know who lives here?" She giggled.

"Well, I heard that a couple members of the Strokes lived here. Some girls came into Caverns the other night talking about a party. She knew the guitarist or something, I don't know."

Harlow laughed, mostly because she was in disbelief. "Al and Julian live here."

"You know their names?"

"I know more than just their names." She smiled weakly in the darkness; Tyler catching a glimpse of it from the streetlight. "I used to go to school with them. Well, most of them. Al's practically seen me naked." She laughed, realizing that probably wasn't the best piece of information to give to someone that liked her. "It's a long story. Completely nonsexual."

Tyler sighed in relief. "So you know the Strokes? So if I go in there, they're not gonna kick my ass?" He chuckled uneasily, gripping the wheel.

"Fab might. He and Nick are pretty hot tempered." She smiled wide, grasping the sleeve of his sweater. "I'm kidding. No, they're not gonna kick your ass... I actually haven't spoken to them in a year- since before they got... you know, known. Nick and Fab used to come into Caverns all the time to tease me about workin' a dead end job. That and... I made sure their food was free."

"I can't believe you know the Strokes. I've never known anyone that knew someone famous. My mom used to swear she knew Mick Jagger, but... total bullshit." He laughed, and so did Harlow. "So, what are they like?"

"Well..." Harlow trailed; she had never been asked about them before. She didn't realize they were that big a deal—she'd never thought she'd hear the term famous. "They're really nice. They're just like... regular guys, I guess. Fab is really funny, Nick is... probably the most arrogant out of the group, but-"

"What about the lead singer? What's he like?"

Harlow's breath hitched in her throat. She hadn't spoken of Julian in two years. "Jules- Julian. He's, um... he's nice. He's shy- quiet."

"Really?"

Harlow nodded, unable to elaborate any further—at least not verbally. Julian was more than an introvert, he was smart in his own way and had a heart bigger than anyone she'd ever known. He was patient, soft spoken and kind. He was beautiful, with big brown eyes that sometimes appeared green, and a mop of dark hair that always looked dirty. He had puffy lips and a slight cleft chin that completed his soft features. She saw no imperfections in his flawed face—he was perfect to her in every way. Instead of saying all that, Harlow held it in.