Misunderstanding

I was woken up by my mom knocking on the door.

I opened the door, "Yeah?"

"Dinner's ready honey. Why is the door locked?" She asked.

"Uhh, I'll tell you another time. Mom, I'm not feeling well. I--"

"Are you okay? Are you sick? Do you need to go to see a doctor or something?" She asked while trying to check if I have a fever.

"No mom, I'm fine. I think it's just something I ate at lunch today. Don't worry, I'll just sleep it off." I convinced her.

"Okay then, do you want any of the boys bring you something?" She asked.

"No." I answered too quickly. She looked at me suspiciously then at the stairs and at me again.

She pushed me inside the room gently then closed the door.

"Okay, what is it this time?" She asked crossing her arms standing in front of me.

I sighed, defeated. "I was bored earlier today and decided to visit the boys at school. When I got there I saw some sl-- girls sitting on Riley's and Jesse's lap."

She looked shock. Guess she didn't see that one coming too.

"What? Are we talking about the same Riley and Jesse here?" She asked.

"Yes mom, we are." I replied.

"Have you talked to them? Let them explain?" She asked.

"No mom, I can't. Not yet at least. I can't find it in me to trust any words that will come from any of them. Even Ava is furious at them right now! Correction, furious can't even start to compare to what she's-- I mean we're feeling. I felt betrayed mom, I don't even know if it's just the two of them or the others as well. Guess having multiple mates can also multiply the amount of any emotions."

"Honey, I think it should be best if you let them explain themselves. Maybe it's really not what it seems, maybe they really have an explanation." She tried convincing me.

"Explanation on what mom? That they didn't do anything to move those girls away from their lap? That they just let them sit there as long as they want?" I asked standing up.

Ava is starting to get worked up again. She's shaking so bad, remembering the image from earlier.

"Honey, all I'm saying is you there might be a reasonable explanation to that. Just let them explain. You've known them your whole life, they are your best friends Soph. And they're still your mates sweethe--"

"That's what hurts the most mom!" I didn't realize that I'm shouting but once I did I lowered my voice again. "They were my best friends. I thought they would never do anything like that to me, never. I guess it's like Chris all over again."

"Honey, don't compare your past with Chris from this. These are your mates we're talking about. Not some random guy." She cupped my cheeks, "Sophie, you need to talk to them before you think of anything else. You need to hear them out."

I sighed and looked down, not replying to her.

She touched my hand, "Remember, everything happens for a reason. Maybe this happen to test your trust in each other, maybe this is just a trial for what's about to come. I don't know honey. All I know is everything happens for a reason." She pulled me into a hug, "Don't forget that okay?"

I nodded. Maybe she's right. Maybe I'm just overacting about everything.

"Okay, so you really don't wanna eat dinner with us?" She asked.