Epilogue

====

' Don't cry because I am gone, instead smile because I lived

' Don't cry because I am gone, instead smile because I lived. '

====

Night fell over the beach where they had claimed, the ship anchored off the shore; it's outline on the horizon. Tents and shelters lined a small part of the beach, creating enough shelter for the hundred people who had survived WCKD, who had survived the Flare. They sat in rows, on the different levels that had been made; a fire burned bright in its pit in the dead centre at the front for all to see.

Aris sat by with Sonya and Harriet in one of the front rows, watching the flames dance in the air; listening to the waves crash against the shore. Thomas had awoken a few hours before and now sat with Minho a few rows behind them, the boys talking to one another. He turned his eyes to Vince as he stepped up in front of the large group of survivors, a drink in his hand as his eyes raked over all of them.

'We have come a long way together,' The man spoke loud and clear; 'So many have sacrificed so much to make this place possible. Your friends and your family. So here's to the ones who couldn't be here. Here's to the friends we lost. This place is for you. It's for all of us. But this, this is for them.'

The boy's eyes followed Vince's arm as he motioned to the huge rock behind him as it sat tall in the sand, its rough edges outline by the light from the fire.

'So, in your own time, in your own way, come make your peace. And welcome to the Safe Haven,' The man continued before raising his cup in the air.

Everything cheered as they raised their own cups or fists in the air, celebrating what they had accomplished. As the night wore on, everyone gathered closer around the fire; talking, laughing, drinking, merely celebrating. Aris smiled at Thomas as he approached him, before his brows furrowed at the envelope in his hand.

'She wanted me to give this to you,' Thomas held the envelope out for him to take.

The boy blinked a few times before taking it into his hand, 'Thank you.'

Thomas nodded and walked away, his head low. Aris opened the envelope and unfolded the note inside, tears instantly welling in his eyes as he read the first line. He folded it back up and stalked away from the group, following the path to the cemetery where only one grave lay. He let his tears fall down his cheeks as he looked at the headstone where Blair and Newt's names were cast, letting him fall to his knees right in front of where the turned up dirt lay.

He unfolded the note once more with shaky hands, a tear falling onto the page before he wiped his cheeks. And he read what his best friend, his sister, had written in her final days. His eyes scanned over the words, reading them aloud in his mind until eventually he could hear her voice reading them to him.

Dear Aris, it read, If you are reading this, it means that I have died. If not, burn this in the nearest fire before you read any further.

A light chuckled left his mouth as he sniffled, letting out a huff as he blinked back his tears.

I know you'll be feeling guilty because I am no longer there with you, and you shouldn't. I died because I didn't speak up. Shocker, I know. I should've told you about the virus attacking my body and I apologise for not doing that, I hope you'll forgive me for my actions. I was trying to protect you. For, I just got you back.

Now, don't go believing that my death was in vain, because it was not. I saved ninety six out of the ninety nine I watched. That's a pretty impressive number, something I am proud of. But the three I lost will always remained marked on my soul; Natalie, Newt and Winston. And I know, I'd usually beat myself up for not saving those three, but someone once told me that I can't doubt myself because I lost just one, I have to remind myself instead that I saved so many.

I wasn't scared to die, I hope you know that. I was scared to loose myself as a result of not being scared. As a result of this virus. And I hope you know, I fought right down to the last second because I had to get back to you. I had to look after you. But as you can see, that didn't happen and I apologise for that.

And, hopefully, I now lay beside the only boy I have ever truly loved with all my heart, with all my soul and with all my mind. He made me whole, he gave me a sense of hope I hadn't felt in a long time. Though I do hope that he will live through this virus, a small part of me knows he won't. He isn't the one to blame for me not being there with you, as I am the one who made him ill in the first place. He could be alive if it hadn't been for me... But I mustn't dwindle on what could've been, instead I must focus on what is.

We've survived through so much, you and me. Betrayal. Loss. War. And now, you must survive on your own without me. And I know and trust that you can... I know I always said I'd never leave you and that still stands, I'll be watching over you just as I always have; I'll just be more silent then ever. And if that isn't enough, I'll be in your heart, guiding you, always.

A quiet sob left Aris' mouth as he looked down at the headstone, nodding lightly in agreement to her words.

Don't cry because I am gone, instead smile because I lived. Celebrate my life with the others as though we are celebrating our freedom at last, which I suppose you will be. Raise a glass for me, would ya?

Know, dear Ar, that I love you and that'll never stop. Give Minho and the others a hug for me and tell them that I love them, also. And I hope you never forget me, because I'll never forget you.

Take care of yourself and take care of the ones you love.

Tell me what happens.

Love, Blair x

Aris' body shook as he sobbed, slowly folding up the note in his hand. He shakily tucked it back into the envelope, pausing when he saw something sitting in the bottom of it. He slid his fingers inside and pulled out the necklace that sat inside. He wrapped it around his fingers, staring at the charm on it as more tears poured down his cheeks.

There before him sat the necklace that always sat around Blair's neck, she never took it off until she reached the depot with Janson where she was scared she'd loose it. It was a simple piece of string with a wooden poppy hanging from it, something she had made herself. Aris slipped it over his head, holding the charm in his hand as he smiled sadly down at the grave stone.

'Thank you,' He whispered.

And he could hear her in his mind replying with, always. He slowly stood, tucking the envelope into his back pocket before wandering back down to the Haven. Just as Blair had asked of him, he hugged each member of the group who had gotten them there in the first place; telling them words she had told him to.

Once he had finished he walked down to the stone and began to carve her name into it, running his hand over it once he had finished. Aris placed the chisel back into the wooden post and turned back to look at the scene behind him, staring through the fire at a empty space where no one stood.

A small smile flittered across his lips as he imagined Newt and Blair stand there in each others arms, talking quietly between themselves; the girl eventually spotting him and raising her cup in toast. He raised his own cup in reply, downing the liquid before he looked back to find the couple gone.

He knew then that Blair's word were true, she would look after him; dead or alive. But the people who stood before him were his new family, and she would be in his heart forever no matter what happened; silent and watching.

Thankyou for reading! It means the world to me, and this book, by far, is one of my absolute favourites that I have written. So, thank you for supporting me through this journey, it means a lot. x