believing,

jungkook was surprised.

that his father wasn't as mean and actually allowed him to buy a notebook.

usually, jungkook would go with jin and sneak out of the house to buy school supplies but here he was, with his abusive father looking for a notebook.

jungkook showed his father the cheapest one he could find.

"f-father, this one's t-the cheapest-"

mr. kim grabbed the notebook and looked at the price.

"you call this cheap?! find a cheaper one or we'll leave." he threw the notebook on the ground, making a staff member stare at him and jungkook pick it up.

jungkook sighed and put the notebook back, rummaging through the shelf of notebooks.

a few minutes later...

"alright sir, will you be using credit card or cash?" the cashier asked.

"don't ask me, ask him," he pointed at jungkook, "he's paying for it."

jungkook's jaw almost dropped.

"what? i'm paying for it?! i don't have any money!"

"b-but father-"

"shut up!" mr. kim slapped jungkook and he fell to the ground.

it was like mr. kim forgot that he was in a public place and continued harassing jungkook.

"hey, get off of him!" a voice interfered and grabbed jungkook gently.

"who the fuck are you?" mr. kim glared at the man.

"i'm just a citizen willing to help a victim in need, you asshole."

the man looked at the cashier and said, "i'll pay for it."

after paying and giving the notebook to jungkook, the man looked at mr. kim in disgust.

"you can't even fucking pay a $1 worth notebook for your son?!"

mr. kim's blood was boiling, he stomped towards the man.

"are you making fun of me?!"

the man rolled his eyes and ignored mr. kim then crouched down to jungkook's height.

"hey kiddo, you okay?"

jungkook nodded shyly.

"are you sure you'll be okay with him?"

no.

"yes."

the man nodded and stood up. he walked towards mr. kim.

"if i see you fucking hurt him again, i'm reporting you to the police."