Owen x Claire | Bittersweet Ever Afters

i saw jurassic world: fallen kingdom yesterday n i enjoyed it so much i thought our characters deserved a bit of an emotional ending to close this journey

this takes place right after the ending of the movie (contains spoilers)

they deserve happiness :'(

The car is shaking slightly, troubled by the narrow and rocky road. As the sky is gradually turning darker, rare stars springing up, Maisie is falling asleep. The little girl's head falls onto Claire's shoulder, and soon it's her entire body that leans into the woman who gently strokes her hair, allowing herself to finally let out a deep sigh.

"Where to, now?" she whispers to Owen, whose eyes set on the rear-view mirror to meet hers.

"I said I have a house to finish" he gives her a small smile, trying his best not to make everything seem like a big deal.

But they've escaped a genetically modified reptile and all the dinosaurs ran away, so unfortunately everything was a big deal.

"Off to yours, then."

"I thought you didn't want to sleep in my van?" the young man raises his eyebrows in a suggestive manner.

"Owen, it's not about us right now" Claire shakes her head, looking down at the girl sleeping on her lap. "We need to take care of her until we figure something out. And, well," she shakes her head. "After what we've been through, I'd happily sleep in any van."

"Okay, you give the orders ."

Owen manages to give her another painful smile and focuses on the road, turning the headlights on.

They remain silent for the rest of the drive, each lost in their compulsive flashbacks and thoughts. It feels like a dinosaur could appear at any moment, tearing the car apart and shredding them into pieces. They've come close to this many times, but nothing could accustom one to death's threat.

Claire ends up falling asleep as well, her head gently resting on Maisie's. Owen just lovingly glaces at them from time to time, something he'd never do if the ginger was wide awake. He wonders whether to truly confess his feelings, but now was certainly not the right time. They had to recover first.

The little group arrives a couple hours later, which causes the young man to grudgingly wake them up. It it is past two in the morning and the outdoors have gotten completely murky, the crickets playing their nocturne and a cold breeze making the trees swing. The campfire died long ago.

Claire is the quickest to awaken so she wraps the brunette girl in a blanket, vigorously stroking her limbs to warm her up as they emerge from the car. She keeps her by her side as they follow Owen to the van.

"It's not the most comfortable thing to sleep in, but I'll try to make it better" he promises, unlocking the door and switching the lights on.

The place vaguely smells of beer and wood, but at the moment it seems like the best shelter they could ask for even though the furniture only consists of a table, a few stools, a small couch and an individual bed covered with many layers of bedsheets. If they put them on the floor, they would probably make great makeshift sleeping-bags.

"Maisie, are you hungry?" Owen asks, already taking a packet of biscuits out of the kitchen cupboard. "You need to eat something, I'm not dealing with you passing out. Here, have some milk and biscuits." He invites the little girl to take a seat as he settles the food on the table, then turns around to face Claire. "A beer?"

The woman nods, accompanying Maisie to the table. They sit next to each other, Claire pouring the milk in a glass and serving it to the girl.

"Will we be okay here?" she quietly asks after thanking the ginger. She seems very tired and lost, her eyes still puffy and strands of hair messily falling onto her cheeks.