Carol Danvers x Maria Rambeau | You've been on my mind

Music: Ophelia, The Lumineers

Oh Ophelia, you've been on
my mind, girl, like a drug

Panting Maria Rambeau collapsed on the sofa with a loud thud, laughing and gasping for air at the same time making the process of breathing rather difficult for the young woman. Carol Danvers, her daredevil flight companion and occasional girlfriend, watched the scene with a broad grin.

"In our face, Danvers!" Maria triumphed, although there were no scores to check. The pair had been playing karaoke most of the evening, which meant singing over tapes and each claiming that they did better than other. The perks of having a day off.

"Yeah, we'll see about that," Carol smiled, getting up for her round. "Don't get your hopes up."

"Whatever," the brunette amusedly shook her head, grabbing the nearest bottle of water and finishing it. Even though the windows were open, a light breeze sweeping through the room, dancing hadn't failed to warm her up. 

Monica, Maria's daughter, was spending the afternoon at a friend's so the two women were free to go crazy, having a great load of fun together. The ten year-old girl didn't know about their relationship yet, but they were planning on telling her soon. She adored Carol, so the couple sincerely hoped that she'd take it well and nothing would change. Who knows, Carol might even be able to move in ?

Though right now, the blonde was only interested in passionately singing the Friends theme song, the tape almost inaudible in the background. Maria beamed as she watched her, contemplating how lucky she was to have found and to be loved by the endearing, reckless and funny being that was Carol Danvers. Meeting her in the army was the best thing that's ever happened to her there, as well as kicking those arrogant boys' as*es.

At last, Carol joined the young woman on the couch, now out of breath and red-faced from adrenaline. She opened a new bottle of water and took several deep gulps, then turned to Maria after a minute of heavy breathing.

"Let's do one together!" she suggested.

"Aren't you exhausted?" Maria asked, smiling in concern.

"No, I'm good," Carol's chest was still rising fast, but her voice wasn't stifled anymore.

"Okay, then. But Monica will come home soon, so last one?"

"Last one," she agreed.

The blonde pilot crouched, fidgeting with the music tape. She looked through the selection for a while, willing to find the perfect song to end the karaoke session, and finally nodded in satisfaction as her eyes set on a particular soundtrack.

"I think I've got a good one," she told Maria in excitement.

After a section of drum beats, piano notes filled the room, followed by a smooth voice which was soon topped by Carol and Maria's. They glanced at each other while singing, smiling cheerfully as the gentle wind was cooling them down. Maria wouldn't trade her afternoons with Carol for anything.

"Oh, Ophelia, you've been on my mind, girl, since the flood" they sang joyfully in unison. "Oh, Ophelia, heaven help a fool who falls in love."

Carol mimed someone playing the piano, getting carried away by the music. Maria chuckled, messing up the words, which made the blonde laugh. Soon enough the last chorus was around the corner, which was going to be the peak of the song.

"Oh, oh Maria," Carol sang at the top of her lungs, making her girlfriend laugh even harder as they danced shoulder-to-shoulder, "you've been on my mind, girl, like a drug!"

"So have you!" the black-haired pilot responded happily, trying to make the words blend in the rhythm of the song. Carol wasn't paying the slightest attention to the lack of accuracy of her singing by now.

"Oh, oh Maria, heaven help a fool who falls in love!"

The chorus came back on again, and the couple finished the song in a great deal of uncontrollable laughter and inaccurate lyrics before tumbling down onto the floor, cheeks flushed from the exercice and throats sore.

Just as they were regaining a bit of sanity, the doorbell chimed and a sunny girl with curly brown hair went in, announcing her arrival with the words "Mom, auntie Carol, I'm home!"

"Hey honey," Maria called back, waving so her daughter could see her from the floor. "Did you spend a nice afternoon?" she smiled, getting back up to hug the little girl.

"Yeah! We started to build an airplane," Monica stated proudly, helping Carol to get up as well then hugging her. "I'm going to leave my backpack in my room," she continued and quickly made her way upstairs.

"It's cooking dinner time now, isn't it?" Carol asked, her gaze following Monica, then she smiled fondly at her girlfriend. Domestic activities together were some of her favourite moments.

"Oh yes" Maria sighed, beaming nonetheless as Carol's lips met hers in a kiss.

They left for the kitchen holding hands, ready for a softer, calmer evening.

fond pilot girls

fond pilot girls

(credits go to wizardfromouterspace on tumblr)