Chapter 3 - The Penny Drops

Officers on the way out the building all greeted Hardy with deferential smiles on Monday morning but slammed drawers and soft cursing greeted him. He hesitated then made his way to an obviously frustrated desk Sergeant.

"Good Morning Morgan, why the swearing? Is something wrong?"

"Good Morning Sir, your mail, and messages. Sorry, you heard that but may I speak frankly Sir?"

Hardy grimaced, "Of course, Sergeant, What's on your mind?"

Morgan glanced around dropping his voice to a whisper. "Sir, I'm not one to complain but could you in the future watch the budget. I thought you made a mess of the front desk, but SOCO Young is the worst. It will take me days to straighten everything out."

Alec had to put a hand over his mouth to keep from laughing. "Sorry Sergeant, I will do my utmost to be more careful in the future."

"Thank you, Sir, that is all I ask."

Alec made it to the top of the stairs and out of morgan's earshot and then let out a full on belly laugh. Glad someone is worse than me on that damn front desk. He glanced in Ellie's office before hitting his own. The place was quiet and blissfully boring. She looked up and waved, forcing him to nod before moving on leaving her to own work. He had a weekend of reports to review.

Ellie answered her ringing mobile and groaned at the voice in her ear. "Sweet Ellie of my dreams, I got your envelope. I see why you did not want to discuss it over the phone. I still don't understand why you sent it to me but I will keep it safe?"

"Jack, you are a complete nutter, but I like you anyway. I sent that to you just in case, it's called cover your arse. I may just be....hold on a minute Jack, I have another call."

"DI Miller, Morgan here, heads up PSDs are on their way upstairs!"

"Jack, the penny's dropped, Professional Standards Department investigators are here. I'm going to leave the phone on in my pocket so you can hear."

Ellie exited her office at the same time as Alec. "I heard Miller, the shite storm starts."

"Alec, grab your coat, glasses and hand me Daisy's photo. I'll give it to Jenny to put in her purse along with her personal photo."

"Why, it can't be that bad?"

"Trust me, Alec, it can be. Move!"

He grabbed his stuff from his desk and handed Ellie his photo of Daisy. She slid over to Jenny, whispered in her ear and handed the photo over. Jenny just had enough time to place it and her photo of Adam and Ruth in her purse, when PSD entered the Squad room.

Three men and a sour looking woman walked to the middle of the room. The woman in a loud voice said, "DCI Alec Hardy, I'm DI Elvira Mycroff of the PSD." She turned around in a circle, "Which one of you is DC Lord?"

Jenny raised her hand, "I am, what is this all about?"

"DC Lord, step away from your desk, you and Hardy will follow me down to the interrogation rooms. DS Page and Cain you will tape off Lord's desk and Hardy's office for further investigation. No one, I repeat no one is to go near that desk or office without my express permission. Is that understood?"

Ellie stepped up to her and growled. "What the bloody hell is this about"

"DS Langford, escort Hardy and Lord downstairs, place them in separate interrogation rooms."

Mycroff sneered at Ellie,"I'm not at liberty to specify at this time, and who are you?"

Ellie took an immediate dislike for the woman. "I'm DI Miller, second in command at this station and I have a right to know what is happening."