Chapter 18

Doctor Tina reeled back in her chair.

"Excuse me- what?"

"That was me! When Marco broke his arm, I tried to fix it for him with magic, but it went wrong!" Star cried. "I accidentally gave him a monster arm. It started being a strong influence on him and he was changing for the worse until I could get rid of it."

"Well, that explains a lot," said Tina. "It was a manifestation of Marco's darkness, given physical form and it latched onto his limb. Now the dark magic in his system has found this... 'monster', and is feeding off it's power. We'll have to wait and see what happens, but at this rate Marco will be lost very quickly. Theoretically, Star, he's dying."

-

"So... what's the verdict?"

Tom was calling from his bathroom. Star could hear his demon relatives roaring away in the next room.

"He's dying, Tom," said Star, seeing to reason to dodge around the truth.

"What?" Tom choked.

"I'm sorry," Star said. "It was mainly my fault. The monster arm. It's back, and it's growing."

"I'm coming over," said Tom at once.

"No! Stay with your family. I'll tell you if he wakes up."

"'If'?"

"When," Star said hastily. "When he wakes up. You'll be the first to know."

-

Star returned to her bedroom after that. She hadn't slept properly in a week. She tugged off her boots and threw herself onto her bed, not even bothering to undress. She sobbed into her pillow and fell asleep, exhausted.