Chapter 45

After everyone had left, Star and Marco helped tidy everything up. The night was dark and cold so they lit a fire in the hearth. Then Mr and Mrs Diaz hugged Star and Marco and went up to bed; the past few weeks had been really tiring and stressful for them.

Star and Marco curled up on the sofa before the fire. Marco shrugged off his jacket and untucked his shirt and Star loosened her belt and replaced her heels for slippers.

The room was lit with a comforting glow and there were scraps of bunting strewn about across the floor.

"That was really lovely," Star said.

Marco nodded.

"Are you feeling any better?"

"Yeah," he said truthfully. "And I also realised that I haven't properly thanked you."

"Don't be silly, you don't have to-"

"No, you saved me multiple times. I owe you more than my life." Marco blushed. "It was your love that saved me?"

Star grinned sheepishly and nodded.

"Well... thank you. From the bottom of my heart. Thank you, Star Butterfly."

"You are most welcome, Marco Diaz," Star smiled.

"Oh, and Tom was telling me about demon powers," Marco remembered.

"Oh yeah! What can you do?" Asked Star excitedly.

"Well, I don't know yet," Marco admitted. "He said it might take time."

"That makes sense," Star said. "Have you thought about using your wings yet?"

"No," Marco said. "To tell you the truth, I'm pretty scared of flying."

"You've never had wings. No wonder it doesn't feel natural."

Marco nodded.

They sat side by side before the fire, and soon they were holding hands, and Star's head fell into Marco's lap, and they fell asleep on top of each other while the embers glowed.

They had all summer to figure everything out. They knew that.

Toffee was gone, his trick played out. They had won. It was over. But on the back of the suffering came a new adventure, and it was one they were going to embark on together.

They had time to practise flying, to figure out powers, to get to grips with the new lifestyle.

They didn't need to worry about it yet. But whatever happened, they would do it together.

For now, all they had to do was sleep.

The end.