Chapter 26

Tom finally wiped his eyes and sniffed noisily, wiping his nose on his sleeve. Then he took a deep breath and called,

"Mina!"

She burst into the room, ready to fight.

"What is it? What's happened?"

"N-nothing," he said quickly. "I gave him the potion. Nothing happened."

"Nothing at all?" Mina asked, sounding worried.

"No," said Tom. "What were you expecting?"

"Well, a reaction of some sort at least," Mina replied, running a hand through her hair and coming to sit down opposite Tom over Marco. "This isn't good."

"He's been through quite an ordeal," Tom pointed out. "Maybe he's just taking his time to recover."

"But look- the runes are still there and redder than ever. And his skin is still super dark."

"I dunno-" Tom started, but he was interrupted by a rip appearing in the air and Star stepping through.

"How is he?" She asked urgently, as soon as she had her feet on the ground.

"Star!" Mina and Tom cried together.

"Did you get it?" Tom asked.

"Yeah, yeah, got the wand, fixed it, had a beautiful moment-" Star said impatiently, waving her wand, "but how is Marco?"

"Well..." Mina said. "We gave him the 'essence of Toffee'... nothing happened. I don't know whether we should go ahead with the blood transplant yet."

Star ran over and shoved Tom off the chair, sitting down. She stared down at Marco's lifeless form.

"Well," she said after a very long pause, "you know what we need to do next, right?"

Tom and Mina looked questioningly at her.

"We've got to tell his parents," she said heavily.