Chapter 3: Late Start

DING! "Cryo-tank malfunction, insufficient power. Opening locked down tanks, thank you for using

government funded cryo for your survival needs." said the the bunker's computer,

The lid to Lars' cryogenic tank slowly opens up, jamming half way. After a five minute period of rest, he slowly awakes over coming the chill from the tank and then crawls out of the half open tank and sits down to asses himself.

The bunker was very dim only some emergency lighting and a few active computer monitors were providing light. Lars looks around the the empty bunker, "Where is everyone?" he silently says looking around for Joe or the representative.

Lars looks at the other cryogenic tanks, he counted 12 of the 25 tanks were open, he immediately checks the tanks which are still closed. The first tank was a woman in her mid forties it seemed, Lars saw a status screen beside the tank it read "Eleanor Rose, doctor. Status: deceased. Mid-priority." The other tanks read similar, all read "deceased" and read either "low or mid-priority."

Lars walks to his own pod's status screen reading it "Lars Estrada, Congressman. Status: Released (delayed). High-priority." Lars was slowly making a connection, but continued to look around the bunker. Joe's pod was opened but there was no sign of him, Lars then noticed that the bag of guns and food Joe brought was still there, but it was unzipped. To Lars' surprise there was a note inside written by Joe; straining his eyes in the dim lighting Lars read it.

"Lars,

Have to leave the bunker, the representative says we can't stay here forever, Idk whats happening but I think there is a problem with the pods and the bunker. If you wake up and r reading this I left you a weapon and some food, I  will try to come back and check on u, if you can't find me I will be at my parents house, good luck I dont know what the outside is like now, ill be carful cya!"

Glad that his friend survived, Lars looks into the bag to find Joe's Glock with about 38 bullets along with some non-perishable snacks. The shotgun and crossbow were gone, Joe must have took those. Lars takes the gun and scarfs down the food since the effect of cryo were very draining. Lars sees the glow of the computer monitor flickering, and walks over to it, with luck it has remained unlocked. Lars clicks bunkers status report, up pops  a full record of whathappened from the moment of impact till now.  Lars begins reading the log the find out what has happened while he was asleep.

"Status log-

July 24, 2025 All people are accounted for, bunker doors are secure all systems are normal.

July 24,2025 Impact has destroyed everything in an eight hundred mile radius, labeled: Dead Zone.

July 25,2025 Massive global earthquakes and tsunamis. Everything 500 feet at sea levelsubmerged under water. Dust has blotted out 90 percent of sunlight.  Water levels expected to return to normal.

July 28,2025 Recent prediction are accurate, high civilian causalities. National guard providing aid and protection, government facilities barley operational.

August 24, 2025 Unexpected conflict in eastern Europe; severenuclear fallout. Contact with Europe lost.

September 15,2025 United States military begins training select number of troop in the post apocalyptic combat and survival, code named: PACS.