31

Chapter 31

Sometime in the early hours of the morning men on horseback and wagons arrived carrying more men and tools. They were quickly organized to clearing the track and helping the survivors get to the relief train waiting to take them back to Mount Pleasant. Shortly after they arrived, Stu sent Freddie back with one of the men on horseback to prepare the town for the survivors.

Freddie was good at seeing what needed to be done as well as finding the most efficient way to get it done. Stu trusted that he would be able to help the townsfolk organize beds, bandages and provisions as well as finding a doctor and as many willing hands as possible to help with continued care for the injured.

Richard continued to help find the families of the children that gathered around Summer. He helped where he could. Stuart was impressed as Richard continued on through the day, climbing the steep bank again and again. As the day progressed, the rain made the task difficult for a man with two good legs...And yet Richard never let it stop him.

Stuart continued to help. His strength was his best asset, and he put it to work helping to free people from the wreck. After a full day, they finally managed to put out the worst of the fire, but they wouldn't be able to start clearing the stream for a few days. The wreck was still too hot.

Downstream the water was blackened and the banks were littered with debris for miles. Still, it was the only water source and Stu really wanted to remove the blood, grease and grime from his face and hands before he went to find Summer. After several minutes, Stu stood with a sigh. He still wasn't clean, but at least he no longer resembled a freshly unearthed corpse.

His clothes were ruined but the grime was mostly gone from his face and hands. He glanced at the blood that slowly oozed from his many cuts and scrapes. Sadness blurred his gaze. It was nothing compared to some. Water dripped steadily from his elbows as it plopped into the mud at his feet. Shaking the excess from his hands he turned his feet in search of Summer.

There wouldn't be many places left to look, as most of the survivors already waited on the relief train. Heaps of bags and other items were neatly piled about and he had to look twice before he spotted Summer huddled on the ground beneath a tree wrapped in a shawl.

As he drew closer his eyes raked over her sleeping form. Relief washed over him as he found only some bruising on her face and a small cut above her brow. Autumn was curled up next to her covered with a blanket.

A woman and a child sleeping peacefully beneath a tree was a welcome sight after working knee-deep in carnage all night. The sight was more welcome to his tired eyes, because this woman was his. As he stepped closer a weary smile tugged at his lips but he resisted the impulse to touch her-to kiss her. Instead he stood quietly to look and simply enjoy the moment.

It was absolutely ridiculous to imagine anyone tying trousers around their neck, but as he looked at her now, she was absolutely adorable. He lingered on the protective way she held Autumn. Earlier, Summer instinctively knew what to say to ease the girl's fear and it was clear from the way they lay now that they shared a connection.

He allowed himself a moment to imagine such a sight-to come upon Summer with their own daughter-someday. His smile grew as he imagined Summer carrying his child-and he realized he very much wanted a daughter. One with blond locks and large blue eyes like her mother...

A sharp whistle drew his attention and he turned to see a man on the ridge above waving at him. Stu recognized the man as the driver of the last wagon. The whistle meant they were ready to leave. Stu lifted his hand in acknowledgement and turned toward Summer.