Chapter 6

"Who are you?"

"Philip. However you'll just call me Phil."

"Are you the one that attacked me outside of my car?"

"I wouldn't call it attacking you. I helped you."

"How do you know I needed help?"

"I've been watching you on my weekly hunts instead of hunting."

"What did you do to me?"

"I changed you."

"Changed me?"

"Yes."

"Are you a vampire?"

"Yes."

"Did you bite me?"

"Yes."

"Does this mean I'm a vampire now?"

"At the moment. No. You're a half vampire. You still have to go through the transformation."

"Transformation?"

"You'll find out later. You dont want to know now."

"You said I'll wake up next week, correct?"

"Yes."

"If thats true, how am I awake now?"

"That I'm not sure of. That's why you're going to the lab."

"Why next week? Why is me being awake so weird?"

"Newly changed vampires are supposed to take a week to wake up. All of them do. No matter how strong a vampire they are. Thats why it's weird. There is no way you should be awake."

"Oh. Ok."

"Where are we?"

"Where all the members of our coven live."

"Coven?"

"This group of vampires. All the leaders were changed by Alex. The main vampire. The one I was arguing with. Only Alex and the leaders are allowed to change people. And after they're changed, Alex has to approve of you. If he approves, he'll do your transformation. And if not, he wipes your memory and throws you out. There is a high amount of half vampires living in your world. But they don't know it."

"Wait. You said Alex does transformations right?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"Alex told you that you were going to complete my transformation. Why?"

"Because you're technically illegal. We have an age limit for changing someone. They have to be eighteen or older and younger than twenty-one."

"Why the age limit?"

"People under eighteen can't handle the transformation. The pain is too strong and you can't handle it. At eighteen, you become strong enough and it shouldn't kill you. And by twenty-one, most people start drinking. And alcoholic vampires are problematic. Drinking makes vampires sick."

"But I'm sixteen. Meaning I'm under eighteen. Why'd you change me if you knew it would kill me?"

"Because it's not going kill you. You're strong. I sensed it from when I first started watching you. You'll be able to handle."

"And what if it kills me?"

"Then Alex kills me."

"Why is Alex the only one that does transformations?"

"It severely hurts the person doing it, just not as much as it hurts the person getting the transformation. At the moment, Alex is the strongest in our coven. We know that because he handled the pain of his transformation better than our previous boss did. That's why he's the boss. He's the one that can handle the pain the most. However that can change. If someone comes along that handles the pain better, they will replace Alex as boss. The same person has been watching the transformation since the first boss of the coven. In 1900."

"So the reason that Alex is making you transform me is to put you through pain?"

"Yes and No. The younger the person being transformed is, the more painful it is for both people involved. He's making me go through the pain so he doesn't have to. And because I'm the reason you're going through it. If I waited two years then changed you, he would happily do the transformation. But because you're sixteen, you'll be going through three times more pain than an eighteen year old. It's his form of Karma. We're not allowed to kill innocent people while hunting. Which is why if you die during the transformation, I'll die too. Also, I didnt want Alex to throw you out. I can tell you'll be a strong member of this coven. I said I'd do anything if he'd let you stay, so this is what he chose for me to do."

"How do you change someone?"

"More will be explained to you after your transformation. Lets go to the lab and figure out what Alex wants to test."