Recruit

1973
-----------------------
Conrad:
-----------------------
"We are here to hire you for a survey job on an uncharted island." An old man says.

"An uncharted island?" I ask, receiving a nod. "Let me list all they ways you gonna die. Rain, heat, mud, disease carrying flies and mosquitoes. Sure you could load up on the Atabrine for the malaria... but what about the other bacteria? And I haven't even started on the things that want to eat you alive." I jab, not interested in the tiny amount of money they offered.

"We'll double that." The old man bargains, not realizing how small of a payment it is.

"You have no idea how dangerous this is. I want five times that. Plus a bonus if we make it back." I state, trying to scare the younger one.

"If?" He asks, confirming my plan's success.

I stare at him intently. He looks away.

"Pay him." He tells the old man. "I think Mr. Conrad should be fairly compensated."

The old man smiles, raising his glass.

"Here is to profit during peace." He says, clearly hiding something.

"One question. You came here looking for a tracker. Who, or what, am I tracking?" I ask.

"This is all the information that we have, okay? There is no map. Only satellite images, so we need someone like you... with your skill, and unique expertise in uncharted jungle terrain... to lead us on our ground expedition." The younger says.

"We need someone with experience. Incase things go sideways... Men go to war in search of something, Mr. Conrad. If you had found it, you'd be home by now." The old man continued.

"Very well. I'm in. I'd think it would help if I knew your names though." I say, standing up.

"Brooks." The younger states, shaking my hand.

"Randa." The old man smiles, also shaking my hand.

I got payed a very handsome amount of money. The mysteries shrouding my employers grows.

--------------------
Weaver:
--------------------
"Weaver." I announce into the phone.

"Yeah. It's Jerry." He replies.

"Hey, Jerry! Tell me, do we get it?" I ask, excitedly.

"That Landsat thing? Yeah. You got it." He answers.

"I did?" I ask in amazement.

"Yeah. Here: there is the Athena docked in Bangkok. Pier 14, 6'o clock tomorrow night." He informs.

"1800 tomorrow. Thank you. I really owe you one." I laugh.

"I don't get it. Why do you want a gig documenting a mapping mission? When you're up for the cover of Time?" He asks.

"Because, Jerry, when three sources tell you the same thing word for word...You know they're lying. There is something going on here, something that nobody is talking about. Plus, my brother is going and I haven't seen him in a while." I reply.

////Time Skip////

"Mason Weaver, photographer." I tell the man with the check in sheet.

"Mason Weaver is... a woman?" He asks, shocked.

"last time I checked." I snap.

I walk over to the boarding plank. There's a Colonel there. I recognize him as Colonel Packard.

"Can I help you?" He asks.

I hand him my identification paper. He looks it over.

"Two years in the country. Where have you been?" He questions.

"Embedded with MAC V-SOG." I reply.

"You in the shit. I respect that... but it's people like you that lost us support back home." He remarks.

"You aren't actually gonna blame the people without guns...For loosing the war, are you?" I ask, a little offensive.

"Camera is way more dangerous than a gun. And we did not lose the war... We're abondaning it." He lies.

"Right."