Sail Away

1973
------------------
Ricky:
------------------
The sun has just risen. I slowly push San's arm off of my waist, and stand from the floor. Almost like I do in the jungle, I hop around everyone on the ground. They all fell asleep on the floor, because they were tired of arguing who got the beds. Marlow and James aren't here, so I head off towards the shrine.

"She should know." Jame says, not realizing I was listening.

"Fine. I'll tell her." Marlow concedes.

"Tell who what?" I ask, stepping up to the graves.

My parent's and uncle Gunpei's graves. The men grow pale, and Marlow stutters to find the right words.

"Your parents. They snuck out to the beach. One day your dad went to go finish the B-29, so it could fly again. He was planning on taking your mom and leaving you with Gunpei and I... the plane blew up with him inside." Marlow starts.

"I don't understand." I begin, but James puts his finger to his lips to signal me to be quiet.

"When we told your mom, she told us what they had planned. Then she just left. She never came back. Gunpei and I went out looking for her, but all we found were bloody clothes. Gunpei and I were rummaging around in the scraps, and that's when we were attacked. The skull crawler had been woken up when the B-29 exploded. Kong killed the beast, but not before it killed Gunpei and injured my leg." Marlow finished.

The story was sad, but no tears came. James' face was one of concern, but he made no move towards me. The others walked in at that moment. Marlow looked down at Gunpei's grave. On it was a picture of his wife and daughter, his katana stuck out of the ground. I picked up the photo, and tucked it into my pocket.

"This man's name was Gunpei Ikari. If you take away the uniforms... and the war... Then he became my brother. And we swore we'd never leave each other behind." Marlow sobs, he composes himself. "Let's get off this island." He growls, taking the sword from the grave.

--------------------
Conrad:
--------------------
We fight through the heat. All of us working together to get a spark in the engine. Failure follows us over and over again. I keep getting distracted by Ricky, and it frustrates me. 'One last time!' I think, pushing the jammed lever with all my might.

The engine roars to life and hums. We all cheer in joy. Mason and Slivko jump into each others arms, then realize whose watching. They're faces burn red, as we all tease them.

"I'm leaving this place." Whispers Ricky, looking out at the iwis who came to say goodbye.

"I guess this is good bye." Says Marlow, holding out his hands and bowing. "Thank you... If you're ever in Chicago, look me up, I guess." He finishes, as we drift away.

"I'm leaving the only place I've ever lived. I was born here. I was raised here. And now i'm leaving." Mutters Ricky.

We putter on, making good speed down the river. San goes to get a can to eat. She takes a knife offered by Ricky back to her seat next to Brooks. She struggles a bit.

"Yeah, no. Let me, let me help. A man has gotta do what... Aah!" Gasps Brooks, the knife cutting his finger.

"Are you okay?" Asks San, taking the can back.

"I'm Okay, I'm okay." Brooks mutters, allowing her to have it back.

"Allow me." She giggles.

"You should see me in the library." Laughs Brooks.

"I got a wife...Had a wife...Have a wife? I guess I don't know anymore. Got hitched right before I deplyed. Got a telegram from her the day before I got shot down. She said we just had our baby boy. I have a son out there. Grown man I've never met." Marlow sighs, sadness taking over.

"Yeah, she definitely thinks you're dead man." Slivko comments.

"Hey!" I scold, hitting the roof where he was sitting.

"I'm just saying." He defends.

"You don't know that. You'd be surprised how long people wait." I comfort, knowing what it's like to wait for a loved one.

"Ah, the truth is, I don't expect em to be waiting. I'd be fine either way. I just want one last chance to see them. That would be good enough for me." Marlow says, as if he thinks he's not going to make it.

"We're gonna get you home." I promise.

----------------------
Ricky:
----------------------
"Fox Five, come back. Is there anyone out there?" Whirrs a machine.

"This is Fox Five. We hear you. Yeah! We're on a boat... We're on a boat headed up north on the river." Slivko speaks into a black box attached to a machine.

"A boat? Where'd yall get a boat?" Buzzes the machine.

"We cleaned it up, there is like a crazy
Santa Clause, time traveler guy from World War II. You'll meet him." Slivko laughs.

"What kind of boat y'all got?" Asks the machine.

"It's more like a plane than a boat, really. Let's call it a ploat... We're on a ploat." Slivko jokes.

"We need that location Slivko." Pipes up James.

"Send up a flare so we could find you..." Slivko orders.

"Roger that, Fox Five. Fire in the hole!" Yells a newer voice.

"There!"

"Yes!"

"I repeat, we have a visual. 2 clicks to our north."

"Roger that, Fox Five. Fox One, out. rendezvous point, in one hour. Load up!
Can we fit everybody?"

"Yes! We're going home!"

So many things happen at once. So many people are talking. The hairs on the back of my neck stand up, and we are soon under attack. Nieves gets picked up and flown away. James aims his gun at the creatures, but doesn't shoot. Nieves is ripped apart infront of my eyes.

"Man Down!"

"What the hell, man?"

"He is gone. Grab your gear. We have to keep moving. We are to go ashore meet up with Packard" James voices, as if nothing just happened.

"No. Wait a minute! Is nobody gonna say anything about the...?" Slivko trails off, pointing to the place Nieves had been ripped apart.

"He is gone! And he ain't coming back. There is nothing to say." Marlow snaps.