Chapter Three

Claire's first thought was that the King seemed very old yet young at the same time. His hair was blonde and cut short. He had a beard and a mustache outlining his pink lips. He had a lean face, and eyes that, to Claire's surprise, were physically changing colors. Resting on top of his head was a gold crown, different colored jewels settled within it. He held a long golden staff in his right hand, a clear orb balanced on the top. He wore fancy clothes that consisted of long white pants that were tucked into shining black boots, and a blue jacket with two lines of gold buttons. Over it all he had a flowing white cape, outlined in long black fur.

To his left sat the most beautiful girl Claire had ever seen in her life. She sat at the same height as him, and Claire guessed that she was the Queen. She had blonde hair that was braided and twisted into an intricate up do, ringlets framing her face. Nestled among the curls sat a diamond tiara, easily half a foot high. She was wearing a Victorian dress made of golden silk. It flowed down her arms then loosened. The dress was cinched tight around her waist before billowing in all directions, going much longer than the throne in which she sat. She had long diamond earrings, and an exquisite necklace to match. Her skin was flawlessly smooth, her cheeks tainted pink, and her lips a bold red. Her eyes also changed colors, blending from a bright blue to a forest green.

Two smaller chairs sat on either side of the King and Queen, but they were both vacant. Claire assumed that they belonged to some Princes, or Princesses.

The Queen regarded them with distant, cold eyes, like she didn't have the pleasure of being here. Of course, if Claire had to sit there and be silent she wouldn't like it very much either. The King was inspecting them, his eyes traveling across each one. Claire felt quite unnerving under his ruthful gaze. She contained the urge to squirm, and remained still. Green eyes straightened his shoulders and crossed his arms, much like Claire had responded to his authority. Ashley had gone pale and looked like she was cutting off the circulation in the stockier man's arm. Or she was trying to feel up his muscles, sometimes Claire didn't know with Ashley.

The King cleared his throat, "Does no one bow in the presence of a King anymore?" He asked. His voice was deep, full of authority and Claire instantly cowered at the force as it echoed throughout the chamber.

Ashley compelled immediately and hastily dropped her upper body, her blonde hair spilling over her shoulders. Claire was about to do the same when she felt a hand on her arm. She glanced sideways to see green eyes giving her a slight shake of his head. Ashley straightened up once she realized no one had followed her lead.

"I'm afraid the manners have been lost on us in the time away from this world." Green eyes spoke, his voice was tight and forced.

"Or lost as your time as an Assassin. Both tend to give people a sense of stupidity." The King said with a wave of his hand. Green eyes grip on her arm tightened and she winced. Claire ignored the fact that he just called green eyes an assassin, for the moment, and faced the King.

"Excuse me but these boys have news to tell you, and unless you would rather ignore the information that made them drag me here against my will, I suggest you shut up." Claire snapped, and everyone's eyes flew to her. Instantly she regretted she words. Back in Camden it was never smart to back talk with the crime lords and she suspected that Kings were no different.

"Claire!" Ashley hissed, her eyes wide.

"Now we're doomed." Green eyes muttered.

She ignored them both. Already she was mentally pummeling herself for her rashness. She just insulted the King of a place she had not even known existed a few hours before. The King was giving a reaction Claire had expected. His eyes were narrowed, the color turning a dark gray. His hand clenched tight around the staff, and for a second she worried he would blast her to bits. If he could even do that sort of thing. After all that had happened today she wasn't sure of anything.