Chapter Fifteen

As dawn broke they prepared to set off to Erline. It was a couple days ride through the train system, but they were taking a ship over to Erline before hoping on the train at their borders and going the rest of the way to the capital. They were packed up and about to set out when Alex and Leo simultaneously pulled their swords from behind their backs and sent each other a look that made the hairs on Claire's neck stand up. Instinctively Claire pulled her sword from her thigh and extended it, the smooth silver already like a second arm to her body. The others pulled out their weapons and began to move together in a huddle.

Claire watched as people began to come out of the forest, their black attire making them almost one with the shadows; surrounding them and trapping them in. One, however, was familiar to her. Jeremy, the King's assistant from the palace. He had stripped away his plain clothes and was adorned in the black of his comrades.

"Jeremy?" Trei asked, his tone as shocked as Claire felt. The soldier was brandishing two long swords and he swung them around like he was an act in the circus.

"At long last. You know I'm tired of babysitting you guys. I thought I would finally get the break I deserved, and instead I was sent to find you." He stabbed one of the swords into the soft ground, the blade sticking up straight. "I'm tired of having to follow you around because you don't know what you're doing. You are dealing with forces not under your control."

Alex turned to face him, his body shifting to stand in front of Claire. "The stones? Jeremy, you have no idea what the stones are capable of either. None of us are. We need to find it and bring it back."

"Oh, but you see it's not that hard to understand. The Faith shows us the true way. One with power and energy and enlightenment." Jeremy pulled a small canister from his pocket and pushed the button on top without hesitation. Instantaneously the surrounding soldiers exploded, their bodies ripping apart and blood splattering into different directions. Claire stepped back, but the distance was far enough away that none of the flying body parts hit her or any of the others from the group. She heard Epinonine kneeling over and puking into the sand, her heaves pounding into Claire's ears. It was sick; Claire couldn't blame her for throwing up. Her own eye's watered, and she felt a tear drop down her cheek. All those lives, ended so quickly. People will families, simply following orders, guided by a heartless man who wasted them away.

"Jeremy! Those were the King's men. What's gotten into you? What do you know about the Faith?" Leo was shouting, the once green and sandy ground littered with blood and guts. Claire kept her eyes trained on Jeremy, his words and actions making her brain only more confused.

"You see, not everything is black and white." Jeremy stated, picking up his other sword. The blade was tinted red with the other's blood and Jeremy's knuckles gripped it tighter. "I wasn't appreciated in the palace, under the finger of the King's order. But the Faith, they know the way. The only way. The King needs to be replaced, Asonia needs a new throne. They have given me enlightenment, and I will help rule Asonia as I should."

Claire stood still, her hands wrapped tightly around the hilt. "You're with the Faith." She said, the disbelief shocking her to her core. "And you were working with the King. He trusted you and you betrayed him. Who else is part of the Faith?" Jeremy chuckled, the sound humorless and empty.

"As if I would tell you. Listen I'm not here to make a scene or fight anyone. I'm here to deliver a message. From the Leader of the Faith. It's for you." He pointed at Claire with a sword, her body still half hidden behind Alex's. "The plan is already in motion. I hope you're ready to work for the new Leader of Asonia. And if not, you better get ready. We want you. You're the Key after all. We won't chase you anymore. You will go on your own accord. You won't be able not to. And you will help us because you will have no other choice. You see, Claire Alina Chase, the future is certain. It's just how fast that future comes is still yet to be seen." He pulled out a smooth crystal and Alex lunged, his sword swinging and meeting the empty air where Jeremy once stood.