Chapter Nineteen

Emotions rolled through Claire, Epinonine was dead. Her blood froze over, she felt the temperature drop deadly low. Light snow began to fall from the ceiling. And it did not go unnoticed.

"Ah, here we go. Show us what you are made of, Icer." Jeremy taunted, and Claire flicked her hand, sending an ice shard straight through the guard to Jeremy's left. He crumpled, the ice breaking as he hit the ground. She moved her wrist once more, and another guard went down. Two guards charged, but one was cut down by Alex's sword and the other was impaled with one of Claire's shards. Fury and rage was all that ran through Claire's mind. The walls frosted over, icicles dipped from the ceiling, she could see Jeremy's breath. Another guard tried to run at her, and did not make it to Alex's vincinity. Claire's own weapon was still clutched in her hand, the hilt and blades entirely covered in a layer of ice. Jeremy was looking at her with a mix of awe and fear.

"Where is the stone?" Claire asked, her voice like acid on human skin. Jeremy smiled, seemingly unafraid of the deadliest Ameliorate before him.

"I think you'll be more interested in something else we have." He smiled and motioned behind him. The once previous steel doors that lined the hallway were now transparent, and showcased the prisoners that the rooms contained.

Chasen was the closest, his face bloody and a deep cut was edged into his nose and cheek. Across from him was Gwenore, who was sitting against the back wall; her hands were extended, and her face hardened into one of pure determination. She noticed Trei in the cell next to Chasen, sitting in front of the window with his head against the wall. And last was Leo, his entire focus was examining every inch of his room. None of them seemed to notice Alex or Claire, not even when they approached them and pressed their hands against the door. Her friends, the one's that had joined this cause for her. Every single person that was trapped in these cells were there because of her.

"Their powers? How are you stopping their powers? That's impossible." Alex asked, his voice sharp. Claire refused to turn around and see Jeremy's arrogant face.

"Oh, that. Impressed? My Leader has extreme powers, one's that surpass the knowledge of this realm. My Leader has spells passed down from the oldest wizards and witches, forbidden books, forbidden magic, given by the utmost Protector or the Faith. Their powers are useless, as they have figured out. And they will die if I die." Claire felt just as confused as when she had first arrived in Asonia. Spells passed down? Protector of the Faith? Extreme powers? Leader? It was all a muddle in her brain. Sometimes she didn't understand why the villain couldn't simply explain their plan and why they were doing it.

"They aren't very good at sneaking in, you should have taught them better Claire; you are a thief, aren't you?" He went to step forward, but Claire was faster. She thrust her power forward and encased his feet in two blocks of ice, trapping him where he stood. Jeremy almost fell over, but maintained his balance at the last second. His face had transformed from smug to displeased.

"I'm no longer a thief. I'm an Icer, I belong in this world more than you do and I will take that stone and my friends, and bring them back to the palace." Claire snarled, approaching Jeremy and placing her hand around his neck. A thin layer of frost began to cover his skin, trailing down and underneath his shirt. She was amazed at her control, as if by simply joining with it her energy it made her unstoppable.

Jeremy's eyes flashed with fear before they hardened again. "I wouldn't do that if I were you. If you kill me, all your friends die. It's a little mechanism the Leader designed; you see, those rooms you passed, they're wired. And they are magically tied to my beating heart. If it stops, then so will theirs." His smirk had returned, and Claire was all but seeing red with anger. She left him frozen to the floor in the room and walked back to the hallway, Alex ahead of her. It was a risk, one she knew she couldn't take. Risking them was not an option. Another idea crossed through her head, one that Claire wished hadn't come to mind.