Chapter Twelve

Alex was so absorbed in holding Claire that he barely heard what was happening downstairs. He almost wanted to pretend like he didn't hear it, so he could stay there with Claire comfortably in his lap, her head in the crook of his neck. But Claire heard it too. She stood up taking her frozen body with her and making Alex heat up within seconds, his natural fire coursing through him. Alex hopped to his feet as Claire slid the picture into her pocket.

"They're in trouble, aren't they?" Claire asked, and Alex took out his sword.

"Stay close to me, it's going to be dangerous. They're probably here for you." Alex warned and then he left the bedroom. Claire followed, a new fierce determination in her veins. Her and Alex crept along the wall and began their decent down the stairs. What they saw was a full-blown battle.

Figures that flew by in a daze leapt everywhere with incredible speed. Vampires, Claire thought. They were attacking the group with enormous swiftness, zipping in and out. And the group was horribly outnumbered. Leo was dripping with sweat, his sword arching through the air; ruby red blood dripping down the blade. Beside him Chasen and Gwenore were battling four vampires. Chasen was swift, two small daggers held in his fists. Gwenore was using her wind power to blow the vampires into blades and setting others on fire with a lighter she had been given. Blackened and bloody vampires were littered around the small room. Even Trei was fighting, a large sword in his hand as he swung and chopped at the blurs. Claire thought she would be sick at the sight of the bodies. The charred arms and legs, the beheaded corpses. It had only been a few days since the attempt on her life. Fury ravaged her, the lies she had been told, the secrets kept from her, the fact that maybe she had never belonged in the Mortal world at all. She clenched her fists, she could feel her power surging; wanting to explode. She hesitated and then she saw a vampire slam into Gwenore, it's fist closing around her throat. Gwenore began to gasp and squirm, her face turning red.

Claire snapped. Her face hardened as she opened her hands, her arms extended in front of her. Alex watched in shock as ice shot from her palms in a stream of cold. He watched as it flew across the room, encasing the vampires as they lunged for their friends. She walked down the stairs, sending a flurry of snow that knocked the vampire holding Gwenore off his feet. Leo stood shocked, the flurry of vampires had stopped. They were all encased in a sheet of ice, their faces frozen in panic and fear. It was as if time itself stood still. Alex stood still on the stairs, speechless. What she was able to do was astounding, no one had seen exactly what she was capable of. Not even Claire. The energy surged within her, fueling her hate and rage. Claire began to walk to the vampire that was struggling into a sitting position. He stood up and coughed blood from his mouth. She felt oddly calm, using her power relaxing her and making all of her other senses clearer.

"You. You are the one." He said coughing again. More blood spilled out of his mouth and down his chin. "It's spectacular. Your gift is unlike any other. Soon you will realize your potential. And you will join the side you belong."

"You cannot have me. I am not yours to take. You cannot hurt my friends. I have been hunted, almost killed, dragged to a completely different world, had my life flipped upside down, been trapped in a palace, and now this. I don't even know the last time I've brushed my teeth, or slept in a bed that wasn't covered in dust. I am sick and tired of you trying to tell me I'm some Key." Claire snapped, and the vampire smiled.

"Don't think we won't find you. My clan and I will stop at nothing until we have you."

"No, you won't. Because you will already be dead." Claire replied, and she leveled her eyes at the vampire and held up her hand. With a satisfied smirk she closed her fist and the ice sculptures broke apart. Chunks of ice flew everywhere as the remainder of the vampires exploded into razor sharp shards. Claire wrapped her hand around the vampire's throat, ice pieces raining down on them both. She did not squeeze, she had no need to. A thin layer of frost began to cover his body. He gasped as he lost the feeling in his legs, his arms. It covered his head and shut down his organs, stopping his heart, his mouth open and eyes wide in fear. Claire released his neck and balled her fist. She reeled back and sent it flying into the vampire. The head crashed apart, the rest breaking and crumbling into a pile at her feet. Her knuckles began to hurt as the adrenaline wore off and only then did she seem to realize what she had done. What she never knew she could do. She glanced at the blood on her fist and collapsed, Trei catching her before she hit the ground. She had killed them, all of them.