Day 4 as a Demigod- The Shield of Athena

The next morning I woke facing a pale pink sky. I for some reason immediately imagined a unicorn dancing down to me from the puffy white clouds and realized that the mythological world was getting to me. I rolled over, and glanced at Cole, at his bunk across the room, who was sitting up reading. He glanced up over his book and smirked at me, and I rolled my eyes but my cheeks flushed.

  “Morning,” he pulled himself off of his bunk and threw the book into his bag, which I assumed was for the quest. I feel a rush of apprehension; I was actually going on a quest.

  He was already dressed, so I assumed he had been up for a while. He was wearing another black t-shirt with the same triangle shape on it that was cut into his sword, dark blue jeans, and some supportive hiking boots that ended at his ankle and his jeans cuffed over them. He looked tense and red-eyed, like he hadn’t slept much.

  I pulled myself out of my bunk and looked at my bed-head hair and ashen face, wondering why he even liked me. Ignoring the thought, I grabbed a pair of jeans and comfortable converse, with my regular black hoodie and a red tank top from my black leather shoulder bag connected to my room magically.

  I quickly showered, changed, and made myself presentable. It was only six in the morning, but Chiron wanted us to get a head start anyways. When we left the cabin, I left my bed made and my nightstand empty, my bag carrying all of my supplies although it was light as a feather. My ring gleams in the sunlight, and I feel incomplete without it resting on my finger anymore.

  When we knocked on the Poseidon cabin Molly was already there, her eyes thrilled. “Ready, Mo,” I asked.

  “Without a doubt,” she chirped. We walked through the silent camp to the big house, nodding at a Dionysus boy who was staring at a fountain, as if an Iris message just ended.

  At the big house, Chiron awaited us with golden drachmas and three mugs of hot chocolate and blueberry muffins. I stuffed down my muffin savagely.

   “So, go to Olympus. You will find a way to stop the gods from fighting.” He glanced at Cole. “For transportation, we have a spare car that is small that you will be taking. It isn’t valuable, and we understand monster attacks, but it isn’t across the entire country or anything, just to the Empire State building, so should be okay.”

  “Okay,” I nodded, sipping hot cocoa. “Who is driving?”

  “Mason, since he has his license and is very experienced.”

  My heart skipped a beat in frustration, I didn’t want him on my quest, weather he was my friend or not his hotheadedness would be a dangerous flaw.

  “There is only supposed to be three to a quest.” I muttered.

  “Yes, but none of your companions can drive. And four is ideal.” Chiron sounded determined. Mason literally strutted up behind us.

  “Y’all talking about me,” he grinned. “I am that irresistible.”

  “Thanks for coming,” Chiron nodded.

  “You’re late,” I scowled.

  “Why are you so furious, Thunder?”

  “You should be going,” Chiron encouraged.

  “Thanks,” I nodded.

  “Iris message me if you need help,” he nodded.

  The car was lovable; it was gray, with five seats and a small trunk. Molly called shotgun, so me and Cole sat in the back. We drove out of camp, and Mason turned up the music and rolled the windows down. “Shut up,” I hissed. “It’s six in the morning.”