Day 5 as a Demigod- The Journey of Four

3 Days until the Sky War

       "Come on," Cole nudged my side. "We have to go."  He sounded sleepy. I blinked open my eyes. The sky was a washed purple and yellow above me, the sun still tucked into the horizon, as if not wanting to climb out of its covers. I sighed.

          “It’s five in the morning!” I grumbled, already getting up.

          “We have to get out of this forest and get to a city and find a way to get to New York today, because we have to save the world from your dad and your mom’s boyfriend, remember?” Cole snapped.

           “Alright, and stop being a jerk. It won’t help the quest at all. Respect my mother too,” I growled, feeling my mood darken.

          “Well isn’t she just a ray of sunshine?” Molly joked in her typical witty voice.

          “I’ll say,” Mason smiled.

        I gasped.

         “My stunning good looks really take your breath away,” he laughed weakly and ran his fingers through his hair. I laughed and beamed at him. He was still pale and sick, but it was a good thing he was conscious. “I think I can walk.”

         “That’s good. We can help you until we get into a town and find a ride or something.” I pulled two clean tank tops out of my leather bag and tossed one to Molly.

          “Thanks,” she nodded and we turned the other way and changed our shirts quickly.

         “Why do you need to be in clean clothes?” Cole asked

          “If we are going to a town, we can’t be dressed like mountain people.” I replied. I dug out two plain grey t-shits that are too big for me and tossed them to the boys, looking away as they changed. Molly and I both help Mason stand and let him lean on us.

          “Which way,” Cole asked, suddenly nervous.

         “Oh great,” Molly grumbled. “Are we actually lost?”

         “The great demigods off to save the world, stopped by nothing but trees.” Mason chided.

          “You said we were in the Adirondacks on a hiking trail, right?” I asked Molly.

          “There is no sign of a trail though, just the marker. It’s overgrown.” Molly sighed.

         “We should head that way, south, south towards New York City.” Mason nodded.

          “The woods could stretch on for miles that way. We need to get to a town.” I grumbled.

         “What do you think? You’re the leader of this quest,” Cole still was in a bad mood as he asked me where to go. I give him a hard look and think for a moment. What can I do? I don’t have a map in my room to get from my bag, a compass won’t help. Maybe if I Iris message Chiron, or maybe my mom can help?  Wait, my mom! The necklace, that’s it!

         I remove the lightning bolt necklace from around my neck and spin it in the palm of my hand. “Lead me to the nearest town,” I instructed it. It spun in my hand for a moment and stopped. “Perfect.” I shrieked.

         “What?” Cole asked.

          “My mom gave it to me, and she told me it’s enchanted. If I’m lost, it points to where I need to go if I simply spin it. We have to go this way.” Cole helped Molly by letting Mason lean on them together to keep him standing.