29. Brace Yourselves

The dragons didn't understand the humans' sudden desire to bring them back to the heart of Dun Broch. In their minds, and foremost Toothless', it was simply a place where humans behaved like the Berkians had before the integration of dragons on Berk. Therefore it took Fishlegs and Astrid quite some time to make the reptiles follow their lead back into the bay. Yet, when Fishlegs helped Gobber fix Toothless' tail and Astrid finally could lean in and whisper: "He needs you. I just now he does. Please, help us", she could tell that Toothless understood each and every word.

Astrid and Stormfly were the first ones to take off. The two of them made the leading post the dragons needed to stay organised, and Astrid threw constant glances over her shoulder to make sure that everyone took air.

"Okay, gang", she yelled, "we're gonna need to collaborate. Gobber, you and Toothless stay right behind me. Then we have Barf and Belch covering your flank, Grump and Scullcrusher covering theirs and Fishleg and Meatlug covering his. Are we clear?"

"All clear!" Gobber screamed.

"Great." She crouched forward, her blue eyes fiery as a fury's. "We're gonna hit them hard with all we've got. Let's make it count."

~~~~~

Merida heard something just as Riker rose his sword. A roar, or perhaps several joint in harmony. It or they began as a distant noise, an almost imaginary-sounding fizzle, but evolved soon into a very real sound of hope. No one could ignore the pull to turn to the skies. From it descended no less then five dragons, led by the valkyrie-like Astrid Hofferson and her Nadder. It's safe to say that at least the Scots went pale from the image.

The other dragons made their ways out to Stormfly's sides only to have Meatlug tearing through the air above Astrid's head and crushing into the ground mere decimetres from where Viggo was standing. Fishlegs had jumped over to Barf and Belch. Riker dropped his sword.

"Let's not lose our heads just get, brother", Viggo said, still mocking. "Remember that these are the same children we've faced many times before. A grand entrance won't change that... although it was a nice touch, Hiccup."

"You should surrender now, Viggo, while you still have the chance", Astrid said.

Viggo raised an eyebrow. "My dear Astrid, forgive me for doubting you - but how on earth are you planning to take me and my men out simply by having your dragons flopping their wings around? They can't take ground, as you can see for yourself. I'm afraid blue oleander is a most effective flower in the hands of a weary Hunter."

The poor Groncle hadn't foreseen the repercussions of her action and fell together as Viggo spoke, causing Fishlegs to cry out in anger.

"Give us the Scauldron antidote, Viggo", Hiccup sternly said. "I know you wouldn't come here without it. We can make a deal."

Viggo laughed. "You clearly don't comprehend as to what is going on, my dear lad. We are taking the Edge and Berk no matter what, and in time, your Scottish friends will give you up to. You see, we aren't daft. Naturally, we've planned for the event of you coming here ever since you first started interrupting our hunting. It took you shorter time than expected to leave your borders so brittle and unattended.There's a Hunter camp situated right on the other side of the forest."

However strong their spite had been originally, the Vikings now started to feel assailed by doubt. It was after all a situation non like anything they'd ever prepared themselves for.

"Then we'll fight ya until we fall", Merida hissed.

And all of Helheim went loose. As if planned in advance, both Stoik and Fergus raised their weapons and stormed at Viggo's men while screaming like savages. Grump sat on the ones that eluded. Meanwhile, Merida's braced bow scared some hunters into running straight towards Astrid's bare fists and Hiccup's flaming sword. Eleonore would have caused surprise when she single-handedly took down two of them in pure fury over her now poisonous lawn, hadn't it been for the slight sense of absentmindedness in the rest of them. The peace-loving Fishlegs knocked out Riker with one single strike. But before anyone had managed to catch their breaths, Viggo was gone.

"He's probably heading to that other camp", Astrid panted. "We can still catch him."

Hiccup put out the fire in his hands. "Let him run. We have more pressing matters to attend to. Fergus, Eleonore, Merida... I'm so sorry to have pulled you all into this. After all that's happened here, I understand if you want to reclaim the troops you promised me."

A loud snort was heard coming from the princess. "Reclaim? Are ya barking mad? We'll join them, of course. Right, Dad?"

Fergus threw an arm around his cousin's wide shoulders. "Mi daughter is right. This is more than an alliance - this is family." He turned to his wife. "Elenore?"

" We'll help protect yer home so long as we stand", the Queen confirmed. But as she saw her sons' eyes light up, she added: "Excluding the three of ya. Ya will stay here with Maudie and Geneen."

"Thank you", Stoik said, answering Fergus with a tap on the shoulder. "Just... thank you."

"Now all we need is more dragons", Hiccup stated. "How easily do you think we can manage to get some, Fishlegs?"

He hesitated. "Pretty easily. Go for the Zipplebacks first. They can seat two. But... I'll stay here with Meatlug." Fishlegs gently stroke the dragon's scales. "I can't leave her."

"You won't. We'll carry her with us on a blanket or something. It'll be alright, Fishlegs. We aren't leaving anyone behind."

"Hold on a moment." Fergus held out a hand. "If Merida says a dragon saved her life, I believe her, but I'm not willing to risk all our lives on those other dragons ya haven't even trained. Boats are safer."

"Boats are slower", Merida intervened. "Riding is a thrill, Dad. Ya can come with me on... Cherry." She smiled at the Changewing. "She'll carry us both."

"And I'll have you on Scullcrusher, if you're alright with that, Eleonore", Stoik said. "There is no danger until we face them, I promise you that. And facing enemies is after all what both of our people do best."

All mounted their dragons, cautiously and slow. Stoik's and Fergus' caped became a stretcher for Meatlug. Both of the rulers than set out to find dragons for Fergus' soldiers, while Merida loaded her quiver with the best of her handmade arrows and Eleonore dug up a dagger from her early youth.

Hiccup closed in on Toothless almost like he had when they first met. Full of restrain. "Hey, bud", he whispered. "I'm so sorry for saying those things to you. I was acting. It was terrible for me too. And you got shot... but at least I didn't do that, this time, right? Show me... if you let me ride you again..." He didn't get any further before the Night Fury started licking him all over.