Chapter 4: Enter an Aria

Mal and Ben were having a relaxing day at the castle. None of them had any duties they needed to worry about, which Mal was grateful for. Baby Beast, which is what she had been calling the baby, wasn't being too kind to her lately, so she was happy to just have a day of relaxation.

"So," Ben began, "we're gonna find out the gender of...Baby Beast soon."

"Hey, you're using the nickname," Mal said, a grin beginning to grow on her face.

"It's kind of sticking with me," Ben said. "Anyway, boy or girl? Which would you want?"

"I mean, as long as it's healthy, I don't care what we get," Mal said. "I'd be happy either way." Mal was silent until a thought came to her. "As for what I think it is, I think it's going to be a boy. Again, I don't care what we have, but I just have a hunch that it's a boy."

"Really?" Ben asked. "Because I think it's a girl. I mean, like you said, I don't care either way. Just a hunch."

"What makes you think it's going to be a girl?" Mal asked.

"What makes you think it's going to be a boy?" Ben asked.

"Mother's intuition," Mal said. "It's always right."

"Are you sure?"

"Yep," Mal replied. "Your mom told me that when she was pregnant with you, she thought you were a boy, and your father thought you were a girl. Who was right in the end?"

"It could still be a girl though," Ben said.

"Yeah," Mal sighed, placing her hand on the bump that had started to show.

"What's wrong, Mal?" Ben asked, now showing concern.

"I know I said I'd be happy with whatever we get, and I will be, but, deep down, I kind of hope it's a boy," Mal said.

"Why is that?"

"You know how difficult a daughter could be if she turned out to be just like me?"

"What are you talking about?" Ben said. "You're amazing, and you know it."

"I know. It's just...I wasn't the best child growing up."

"That's not your fault," Ben said. "You were raised to believe the things you thought were right. You've changed. I know you can raise our child to be like you, girl or boy."

"Thanks Ben," Mal said, feeling a little better. Suddenly, Ben's phone began ringing. "Who is it?" Mal asked.

"It's Chad," Ben said, wondering why Chad would be calling him. "Hello? Woah, Chad, calm down. What's going on? Oh. Well, we'll be right over to support you two. Okay. See you later." Ben then hung up.

"What's going on?" Mal asked.

"Audrey's in labor," Ben said.

"What?" Mal said, practically jumping up from her seat. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I thought I just did...."

Even though Mal and Audrey didn't get along very well when Mal and the others first came to Auradon, the two had grown to like each other. Despite their parents being mortal enemies, they became close friends.

"Where's Junior staying?" Mal asked.

"Chad said that Junior is staying with his parents," Ben explained.

"Okay. Can we go now?" Mal asked, getting a little impatient.

Ben chuckled. "Yeah, we can go."