Chapter Two

Merlin tripped over imaginary dust as Arthur continued to guide him throughout the kingdom. Merlin was in awe. His sight was doubled by basking in the presence of other life.

"There are so many people here," his voice sung gleefully, the grip on Arthur's hand falling into a tighter and happier embrace. Merlin's gaze fell intently on each angle, analyzing the views deeply and with an intrigued mind.

The elder suddenly gave a glance to the younger boy. "We need to find you some clothes, Merlin. Those definitely won't do."

Merlin's face contorted onto a stare of confusion. "What's wrong with my clothes?"

"Well, we are traveling to the castle. It would be a pain to see you not place a presence." Arthur chuckled at the other boy's expression, pulling his hand for him to follow. The two were already in the market, so clothing wouldn't be a trouble to find. Arthur kept glimpsing at Merlin, every so often with lips pulled into a warm smile when seeing the other boy's face light up.

Merlin had discovered a new world.

And Arthur had welcomed him to it.

"Silks would look quite good on you," Arthur commented as a suggestion, watching Merlin scrunch his face in distaste.

"It reminds me of higher class." He paused. "I don't like it."

Arthur's brows laced. "Why not? Is there a problem with royals?" He was internally offended by the younger boy's statement.

"My father told me they treat people with low respect," Merlin countered, biting his lip, looking about for other material used for clothing.

"We're planning to greet the Princess, Merlin. Wearing cheap cloth as clothing wouldn't be suitable."

Merlin's head whipped. "Princess?"

Arthur gave a triumphant grin. "Yes, so I suppose you wear something fancy." His face turned to see Merlin contemplating on the choices, squinting his eyes, deep in concentration. Arthur's stomach flipped, finding the sight endearing to him. Feeling a blush pattern his cheeks, he quickly gazed away from Merlin, hiding his flushed complexion with an angle away from the other boy's vision.

"Fine; you win." Merlin sighed, edging towards the stall with the expensive material, pulling Arthur along with him. The two gazed over the fine cloth, as Arthur then took several blue silks, draping them against the latter male. Merlin's eyes peered into Arthur's, wondering what he was currently thinking. "I didn't know you had a taste of fashion," he joked.

Arthur gave a small chuckle in reply. "Blue suits you," he then spoke after testing the different silks. Arthur found the light shades of azure complimenting his companion's eyes quite well; and along with the dark shades of royal blue, the contrast would do nicely. Arthur internally smiled. The boy would look like a royal.

Merlin eyed both the fine material and him consecutively. "When are we going to run? It's quite crowded around here."

Arthur raised a brow in confusion, when the thought suddenly hit him. "No, Merlin! I have plenty of money." Merlin watched as the boy pulled out a small bag full of crowns, placing a handful of gold coated ones on the table. Sliding them over to the man, Arthur then folded the sheets of cloth, placing them delicately inside his satchel, securing it with a strap.

Merlin's eyebrows raised in surprise. "So you're rich," he concluded, a sheepish gaze plastering his face.

Arthur looked back at the boy, feeling himself too blush at seeing the other's complexion. "Don't depend on it." Arthur paused, looking about the perimeters of the area to see where they would travel next. "Come along, Merlin. This way!"

________________

Merlin watched with silent eyes as waves of servants came in and out, organizing decorations, rearranging tables, setting down an assortment of plates and silverware. "What is all of this?" he questioned, his hand gently tugging on Arthur's sleeve.

"It's the banquet tonight," the elder replied, giving a reassuring smile to the other's expression. "That's why I killed the deer." His voice slightly faltered upon saying the last sentence, gazing to Merlin to see how he would react. "I'm sure you've killed before, have you not?"

"Killed?"

"Hunted. Animals, Merlin."

A small nod took him to speak further. "Only if necessary."

Arthur stopped, turning to face the other boy. "Why so?" He was curious as to why Merlin would let food he was able to eat live and run away.

"Because they're just like me, Arthur; us. They're trying to live." A pause rippled through the air, as Merlin scrunched his brows. "I feel their pain when they die, Arthur."

"Do you think the same thing would happen if you killed a person?"

Merlin shivered, trying to avoid the thought. "I'm not sure. Let's just hope to not find out."

Arthur pondered on Merlin's words. The younger boy's goal was to guard his forest. Like Arthur, Merlin wanted to keep his animals safe.

Merlin protected his forest.

Arthur protected his kingdom.

"Is the deer safe?" Arthur asked.

Merlin nodded. "Yes. We can get it before the banquet starts, I'm sure?"

Letting a smile wipe over his face, Arthur collected his thoughts, pulling on Merlin's hand. "Yes, that would be fine. Come. This way."

The two trailed up several flights of stairs, as Arthur wavered with his pace every time Merlin would comment on the view from the windows or gaze at the interior and rush of people. Arthur let a laugh gurgle from his mouth when Merlin spoke of a lord's haircut.

When the two finally made it to Arthur's temporary chambers, Merlin stood still, fazed by the size. "This is yours?" he asked, finally deciding to meander, letting his fingers graze the carved wooden chairs, the bed pole, and soon the sheets itself. He let himself become enamored by the material, running nimble fingers across the sea of fine material.

Arthur nodded in reply to the other boy's question, letting his eyes roam the interior. "It is rather extravagant, isn't it?" His eyes eventually rested on Merlin, staring at him subconsciously.

"Extravagant? This is a home itself!" Merlin giggled, looking to Arthur who was already staring at him. Flushing, Merlin turned away from the elder, deciding to travel to the window, gazing out to the city below. "It's a beautiful view."

"Indeed it is," Arthur replied hazily, still staring at Merlin.

It's been 8 years since he had last seen the boy.

8 years of dreaming for Merlin to make an appearance once again.

8 years he had been alone.

But 8 years is all it took for Arthur to realize the truth. Merlin had treated him differently than most others. The boy may not know of Arthur's title, sure, but Arthur felt keen on keeping Merlin away from that thought. Arthur gulped, swallowing the bad omens. He was selfish, he knew that much.

He would keep Merlin from knowing of his real identity.

For now, all he could live was through stacks of lies and false hope.

A/N: Hello everyone! I hope y'all liked this chapter! Please leave a vote or comment if you've enjoyed the book so far! It would help me tremendously! Thanks y'all! Bye!