Chapter Three

Merlin didn't know what was fancier: the décor or Arthur's outfit. After taking the fallen deer to the kitchens, the two trekked up the stairs, trodding over to Arthur's temporary chambers. Merlin knew Arthur had to be of noble blood somehow. The man was rich—covered with silks and tended to with nimble fingers. Merlin knew he shouldn't be scared of Arthur. But there was something off about the elder's mood around him. Biting his lip, Merlin stood still, watching Arthur gather his clothes before moving behind his divider, then changing into a formal outfit.

"What's on that mind of yours, Merlin?" Arthur absentmindedly switched in and out of sheets of fabric, feeling the expensive material rub against his skin tenderly. His head poked out, eyeing Merlin staring at the table with a glazed stare. "Merlin?"

The two alike shades met, as Arthur felt himself dip into an entranced state. Arthur remembered those eyes. The orbs that were adamant about an opinion and wouldn't let any question go unanswered. The blond didn't even feel a grin wipe over his face until Merlin commented on it.

"What will I do at the banquet?" is all the latter replied.

Arthur scoffed. "Stand there and look pretty, I suppose." Finishing, Arthur exited from his divider, raising both his hands and eyebrows to silently ask how the outfit looked on him. He let a grin fall on his lips as Merlin's eyes widened for a split second, then quickly tried to suppress it by gazing down with a flushed face.

"Well?"

Merlin gave a prominent swallow, licking his lips before answering. "It's good." He quickly muttered something under his breath.

"What was that, Merlin?"

"Good," the raven stuttered. "S'good."

Arthur smirked. "I'm glad to hear." He then gestured to Merlin in confusion, wondering why the silks he had earlier bought and tailored weren't on his friend. "And where is your outfit?"

Merlin felt heat instantly scatter across his face in uneven patterns, as his palms began to sweat with anxiety. "I didn't think you'd want me to wear it." He watched silently as Arthur rolled his eyes, striding to the end of the room, snatching Merlin's formal wear. Merlin felt himself blush harsher. Arthur had chosen the outfit for him—of course he would have him wear it.

"On with it," Arthur chuckled, watching as Merlin grabbed his new clothes and moved behind the divider. Minutes passed, and Merlin found himself adjusting and picking at the expensive layers of silk. The material and colors themselves were gorgeous, but Merlin found himself uncertain when gazing down. He felt like a fool.

"C'mon!" Arthur spoke from the other side of the room. Merlin heard him tap his foot against the ground with slight impatience. The younger man sighed, deciding that it was now or never.

Arthur had never seen something so stunning. As Merlin shyly crept out from the divider, Arthur's stare flew everywhere with shocked eyes. The silks that had complimented Merlin had made an obvious appearance when worn. He looked like a true royal. Absolutely beautiful.

"Wow..." is all Arthur could say. He was in awe.

Merlin instantly turned a deep shade of red, messing about with his hair and clothes. "Is there something wrong?" He gave a quick glance up, watching as Arthur gave a windswept smile.

"Well, there is one thing missing..." Arthur quickly took the crown from his head, walking over to Merlin. With laced brows, Merlin watched as the elder delicately placed the crown on his locks, wiping a few loose strands from his face during the act. Arthur's fingers felt cold against his skin as the blond worked the circlet of gold around his head. Giving a short sigh, Arthur then stepped away, drinking in the gaze of the alluring man in front of him. Arthur had remembered the many women that had giggled at the sight of him, but Arthur had learned that all them were the same. But not Merlin. Merlin was different. Strikingly different. A crown looked perfect on the younger man's head, and nothing could change Arthur's mind.